Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I connect my External drive to a DVD Player or something else?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

Hi,

I have got a Western Digital Elements External Hard Drive Model WDBAAU0010HBK on it I have many home videos etc.
I would like to know if I could connect it to one or both of these devices which are connected to the TV to watch the movies:
the DVD player is Nortek NDVX 2504 which has a USB2 connection, or
a digital television receiver box which is Sansui DVB 01. This also has a USB2 connection.

Thanks for your help

Edited by English Teacher, 01 September 2010 - 02:26 PM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

I could be wrong...but...the external drive is nothing but a computer file cabinet.

The programs that allow you to read the files on that drive...are probably on your C: partition, either as part of Windows or as a program installed on Windows.

Connecting the drive to some other mechanism is possible, but that mechanism must have a function of reading the files...in order for you to be able to watch the videos. If your DVD player can read/play files from a hard drive with USB connection...then it would be possible. It's easy enough to check the specs/capabilities of the player.

Example...if you have a device that can access/read files on an external drive...that would seemingly allow you to achieve your stated objective. It's the reader function that is important...for the file locations to have any significance.

Louis

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Just to let you know I connected the Hard Drive to the DVD player and Digital TV box but they couldn't read the Hard Drive.

Strange that they can read a pen drive.

Anyway, thanks again

Edited by English Teacher, 06 September 2010 - 09:48 AM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#4 foxmose

foxmose

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

Hi,

I have got a Western Digital Elements External Hard Drive Model WDBAAU0010HBK on it I have many home videos etc.
I would like to know if I could connect it to one or both of these devices which are connected to the TV to watch the movies:
the DVD player is Nortek NDVX 2504 which has a USB2 connection, or
a digital television receiver box which is Sansui DVB 01. This also has a USB2 connection.

Thanks for your help

yea sure! you can connect external drive to you DVD player easily but make sure that there must be a port for this and your player should be support external drivers. For more info you may read prospectus of your product.

Good luck!

Edited by foxmose, 20 September 2010 - 08:39 AM.

#5 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Thanks but the instructions don't say anything about this!!!

I thought I might be able to as the DVD player and the Digital TV Box have USB 2.0 sockets.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

I have the LG Blu-Ray Player with the built in 250gb HD. It has the USB port on it for exactly what your trying to do. I plugged in a portable hard drive to it, and it read the files, played songs, and movies.

They were ones powered through the USB cable, not ones you plug into the wal to power.

I ran into a problem, with two different external HD, the first time i plugged them in, the BLURAY read them just fine, after that, they had ceased to function, at all. Probally a defect in my player itself, but i honestly have no idea what happened with them, ran through some things on here with hamluis trying to recover them, gave them to an I.T pro at my job and he ran a program on it for 30 hours trying to just Initialize them, they were completly destroyed, it was weird. i would suggest backing up the info in another place before using them on the devices you wish to use. i lost 960gb of stuff that day...
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

According to this page: Nortek 2504 Your unit supports the following formats: MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Xvid, DivX (4.x, 5.x), DVD, JPG, VCD, SVCD, MP3 CD, Kodak Picture CD, Photo CD. If the videos on your external drive are in one of those formats it should be able to play them.

Here's an idea, why don't you read the owner's manual (available for download on their site in case you lost it) for how to use the USB port?

Edited by strolln, 24 September 2010 - 09:12 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#8 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

Well I didn't lose anything :thumbsup: .....it was just that the DVD player and the digital TV box couldn't see the External Hard drive! :trumpet:

What a shame.....back to burning DVDs :flowers:

Edited by English Teacher, 24 September 2010 - 09:24 AM.

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

ps3 can stream from external hard drive or wirelessly from pc

#10 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:36 AM

Here's an idea, why don't you read the owner's manual (available for download on their site in case you lost it) for how to use the USB port?

Thanks but I have already read the instructions and checked the Nortek website (very helpful website :flowers: ) but to no avail!!
Anyway as I already said I connected the hard drive to both the DVD player and the digital TV box but neither one can read it. However, I do use the USB port for the pen drive and both can read the pen drive.
I guess I must just stick to Pen drives!!
Thanks anyway :thumbsup:

Edited by English Teacher, 25 September 2010 - 03:37 AM.

#11 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

Is your external drive formatted as NTSF? Most pen drives are formatted as FAT32 so it may be that your external is NTSF and the DVD player can only handle FAT32.

Edited by strolln, 25 September 2010 - 09:22 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#12 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

You are right.....my hard drive is with NTFS format and not FAT32!!!

That's the problem I expect!!

Well done and thanks :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users