Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive error 50% through copying, ERROR #0x80070057

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stupid_idiot

stupid_idiot

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

Just bought a 250 GB Seagate External USB Hard Drive.

While Transferring/Copying all the folders and files from my Desktop contents (12 GB) I received the following Windows(Not Seagate's) Error which was "0x80070057"

ALSO:I made sure no file being transferred was IN USE by any process so that's not the issue.

I Googled it and I am still lost as to what it "0x80070057" means OR BETTER how to avoid it?

I've also ran MSFT's various disc scanners/fixers and a few non-MSFT and no error were ever found so I do not see how it's the fault of the new External Drive...

HELP? How to fix/repair or avoid this problem??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

Near as I can tell, the error is "Parameter is not correct" which tells us exactly nothing of use (thanks, Microsoft!)

As a workaround, perhaps using a third party copier would help? I use and recommend Teracopy. It's a freeware replacement of the built-in file copying utility for Windows and can recover from most errors (by skipping the file that's having trouble) and gives more verbose error messages.

#3 stupid_idiot

stupid_idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

Near as I can tell, the error is "Parameter is not correct" which tells us exactly nothing of use (thanks, Microsoft!)

As a workaround, perhaps using a third party copier would help? I use and recommend Teracopy. It's a freeware replacement of the built-in file copying utility for Windows and can recover from most errors (by skipping the file that's having trouble) and gives more verbose error messages.

I'll give her a shot and report back here if possible and within the rules and guidelines of this forum.

#4 stupid_idiot

stupid_idiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

Can't figure out how to use the software....seems written for someone above my level...

well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users