Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound card change?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hipbilly

Hipbilly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hello from a first time poster. I recently did a clean install of Windows Seven on my computer (Abit Fatal1ty AN8 Sli motherboard, AMD 64 X2 processor with 4 Gig Gskill memory. The current sound card is the daughter sound card that came with the motherboard from Abit) only to find that the system would no longer see my sound card. Since one of my main uses for the computer is recording music, this was rather unsettling (he says dryly). I have been able to find no drivers for this card and Windows 7, and in fact, what info I have found says the manufacturers are not planning on creating drivers for this card. I need to know if I can upgrade my sound card to M-Audio's 2496 PCI card, with this motherboard, and if this card will then be compatible with Windows 7. I can't contact Abit USA, as their site is currently down.
I have had to wipe my drive and go back to a fresh install of XP pro (sp3) in order to continue my recording hobby, and would really like to be able to use the WIndows 7 OS that is currently gathering dust on a shelf! I just don't know how to check for proper compatibility between this motherboard, a new sound card and windows 7. If there is a way to check this match-up out before dropping a hard earned "C" note on that new card, I would be thankful to anyone who can share that information!
I don't think I can any long say that I am a total beginner with my computer (this system is my first build). I'm just an old country boy out in northwestern Montana who has been learning as I go... A long way from being any sort of a tech kind of guy..... So simple answers are appreciated, too!
Thanks to all, posters and staff for such a great and informative site!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

That motherboard has 2 x PCI Express X16, 2 x PCI Express X1, 2 x PCI slots, 1 x AudioMAX. You shouldn't have any problem finding a audio card that will be compatible with Windows 7.

Have you looked in Tiger Direct or Newegg?

Edited by dc3, 01 September 2010 - 07:51 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

As long as you have a PCI slot then you are good to go with some M-audio products. The card you listed has windows 7 drivers available through the support section of their website.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Hipbilly

Hipbilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. Once the new card gets here, I'll do a fresh install on a freshly formatted drive and see how things work out. Have a good holiday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users