Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Code discovered serving malware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

Google has removed malicious programs from its Google Code platform after Web firm zScaler said the company's servers were being used to serve malicious code.

With its size and breadth, Google's finding it harder than ever these days to live up to its founders pledge to "not be evil" - or, at least, not to aid those who are bent on being evil.

The latest example comes from Web security firm zScaler, which reported on its research blog Wednesday that it had discovered malicious programs being hosted and served from the Google Code Web site. A Google spokesman said that the company has removed the project hosting the malicious programs for violating its terms of service.

Threatpost

Ofcourse, why not? Good read, enjoy it, I did!

Karsten

Edited by KarstenHansen, 01 September 2010 - 11:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

I don't see this as a reflection on Google as long as they remove such things when they find them. What else can they do but that without discontinuing a valuable service altogether?

#3 CStew23

CStew23

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

There is such a thing as being too big to effectively police these things though but, Andrew has a point. If they find it quick enough when it does get past the defenses, no harm done
Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!
If you have not heard from me in 48 hours please use this and send me a PM reminder.

#4 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:02 AM

IMHO I think google is trying just as hard as Microsoft building and developing security for us all. We have to watch for what they are trying to do with all this, namely making users MORE SECURE. To say, it's google and I dont want to use, no other reason, that is just plain stupid!

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

With the resources that Google has I would like to see things like what has been reported taken care of in a more timely fashion. IMHO they should of found it and fixed it sooner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users