Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symantec just detected backdoor.tidservel!if on my pc at work!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cynthiasoto

cynthiasoto

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hello, I was given this site by a friend and am hoping for some serious help! On tuesdays our computers at work are scanned by Symantec, during this scan I saw this risk pop up "backdoor.tidservl!if" Symantec does not give the option to quarantine or delete it. It says "no program available for this risk". So I ran a full scan on Malwarebytes' and to my surprise this risk did not pop up there. So my issue is I am at work, I had a malware virus shut down my pc about 2 months ago and my boss nearly had a heart attack!!! I would like any help please to get this removed with out infecting anyone elses' computer! Or notifying the boss that there is something weird going on at my station.

Thank you

Edited by cynthiasoto, 01 September 2010 - 11:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

IMPORTANT NOTE: Since you say this a work computer, you need to contact and advise your IT Department, not hide the problem from them? In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures.

A business IT staff generally has established procedures in place to deal with issues and infections on client machines on the network. As such, they may not approve of employees seeking help at an online forum or outside the business office as doing so could interfere or cause problems with their removal methods. The malware you are dealing with may have infected the network. If that's the case, the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate disinfection measures.

If you attempt to hide malware infections from your boss, the network gets infected and he finds out (yes, the IT Team can trace the source), what do you think his reaction is going to be? While he may be upset if you tell him, I don't think his reaction is going to be the same as him finding out you tried to hide it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 cynthiasoto

cynthiasoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •