Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntfs.sys missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 krk

krk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

I have a 4 year old Toshiba laptop with Win xp home pre-installed - so no setup cd. This morning I get a "file missing or corrupt ....Ntfs.sys" with a suggested recovery to use the original setup CD which I don't have. Unable to boot in safe mode, unable to restart from last restore point, unable to run chkdsk or anything else.
Suggestions very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

Seems to me that you to either contact Toshiba about recovery disks...or get an XP CD legally.

BTW: The ntfs.sys error...can be indicative of a problem with the named file, your NTFS file system, or your hard drive.

Louis

#3 krk

krk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:48 PM

I did contact Toshiba and they were no help at all - said to run the recovery cd which did come with the system but it erases the hd and re-installs the system as it was purchased.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Borrow an XP Home cd from a friend so you have something to boot from
Boot from the cd and follow the prompts to get to the recovery console
Follow the instructions here
Reboot
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users