Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirects and Trojan horses a plenty

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 heymac

heymac

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

Hi As it seems I am not alone in my problem I guess I could just follow some one elses steps but I dont think Im as computer savvy as others so heres my issue.

Im running a hp netbook with win 7 starter and after my norton sub runn out i was running unprtected for a while this was a big mistake around the same time i tried to down load a tv series torrent which no player could play i have since installed AVG secuirty and scan those files to discover they are trojans also while trying to watch them the player tried to download a codec which didnt work and it was problally downloading more malware? anyway now I have done scans and mutlible treats in the form of tojans are showing up which some cant be healed. now the computer has so many virus warnings its hard to use and when using google I get rediredted to other sites. whats the first step.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Please download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.

Please perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and follow these instructions for doing a Quick Scan in normal mode.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
-- If you already use SUPERAntispyware, make sure you are using the most current version as it is frequently updated.
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • Follow these instructions: How to use SUPERAntiSpyware to scan and remove malware from your computer Guide.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
-- If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner (listed under Popular Links) instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 heymac

heymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

I guess they got me started having boot problems and start up repair hangs I must be stuffed.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Please clarify as I'm not sure what you mean.

#5 heymac

heymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:42 AM

As it was I was only managing to boot after two attempts any way but nowI assume the virus has messed up the boot file and I can no longer boot up on the affecteted netbook windows displayed a boot repair screen but it stopped responding.

I had downloaded the programmes suggested and was in the pocess of rebooting after running TFC . I do have the ultimate repair cd for windows but I am inexperieced and hold little hope of acheveing successful salvage of this windows installation.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

Since you are using Windows 7 Starter, have you tried using Windows 7 System Restore to return to a previous state?

Method One: Through Control Panel > Recovery > System Restore if you can startup normally.
Method Two: Through System Recovery Options at Boot if you cannot startup Windows 7.

#7 heymac

heymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

I have a problem the windows repair hangs. and A black window flashs then disappears. when I disabled auto restart I managed to read the blue screen which reported the problem is UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME also when I tried to boot in safe mode the system gave up when it got the Windows/win32/DRIVERS/disk.sys

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:47 PM

These are a few older articles, two from Microsoft, which explains the error in Windows XP.SpiritX (Rob Brown), MS MVP at Microsoft Answers addresses the error with Windows 7 here.

This is serious error and "may" not be repairable without professional tech support from a real computer shop...

You may want to start a new topic in the Windows 7 forum for further assistance with this or try another Recovery Option.

Edited by quietman7, 03 September 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#9 heymac

heymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

thanks for your help Ill either start a new topic or bite the bullet and 'go swimming with the sharks', thanks again, haydn.

Edited by heymac, 03 September 2010 - 03:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users