Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sloooowness: computer or connection?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cocopuffer

cocopuffer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

are the waits and delays i have between clicking and

action attributable to
what's going on inside my computer
or
my internet connection?

i have a dsl connection with my local telephone co., and

they installed a big grey box within 2 miles of me so i

could connect.

sometimes it all works just fine -- fast, with no delays.

other times, it's like molasses.

this doesn't have anything to do when kaspersky is

doing it's daily routines... or whjen i run other scans. i

know they slow things down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

When I used to live way out in the country(no cable would come out that far) we had signed for dsl and were the last house in the telephone line that could receive dsl. It used to go through swings like that all the time, around 4 in the morning though it would always be blazing fast, so I always just attributed the swings to be from other people on dsl inline before us and when my parents were on the phone it would also slow down(choke at the filters?) I don't know if thats what your issue is, but who knows. Bring up you command prompt when you see that the internet is being slow and look for processes that have a high CPU of Mem usage.

-bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

It might also be that the site that you are visiting could be experiencing heavy use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users