Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Pro BSOD 0xC000021a(0xc0000034) Help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Brendeg

Brendeg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

Greetings all,

I love your forums and been searching them for the last several hours. I've seen some great advice, however I haven't done anything due to the fact that all the situations seem different.

Here goes.

I booted up my comp this am and was greeted by the beloved BSOD... Windows Stop: 0xc000021a(0xc0000034) Error.

I cannot log on in Normal, SafeMode, Last Known good Configuration

I have an SP2 XP Pro Disc. I have access to the recovery console. I have done chkdsk. Alot of the posts have mentioned things like FIXBOOT or verifying I have certain files and etc. Anyone able to give me a hand getting this thing back up and running. One other piece of possibly relevant information. I ran a malware bytes scan on the comp. It found 1 error. I didn't pay attention to it, fixed it. Restarted and everything was good. 24 hours later, the BSOD came up.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Microsoft Says...

Louis

#3 Brendeg

Brendeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the reply,

However, Either I'm being a tard or it is not supporting it. The only dos type prompt I can get to is via the recovery console. When I type in the commands for initiating DrWatson I get "The command is not reconized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

RC commands...may be different than regular command prompt commands, I don't know, I don't do much of either.

That's why you get the HELP message...it will show you the various commands which are native to the RC.

Dr. Watson is normally enabled by default in XP...the result is a BSOD error message which can then be analyzed/interpreted.

Exactly what happens when you try to boot into your system? How far does the process go?

Did you run the chkdsk /r command or some variation thereof?

Louis

#5 Brendeg

Brendeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

I ran chkdsk /r /p and no errors. It boots up past the Windows Splash Screen, then just before the log on screen, the screen its self turn a bright aqua blue. Within 5 seconds the BSOD comes up. So short answer, It takes me all the way up to just before the logon. The only access i have to the computer at the moment is though the RC. I cannot get into xp. I've thought about doing fixboot, however I'm not sure if it will conflict with my user log on to xp pro.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Fixboot is normally a safe command to run, IME.

You may want to take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058.

Louis

#7 Brendeg

Brendeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Well fixboot didn't work. Any other suggestions? I saw a set of forums where basically I copy my registry files to a tmp folder, delete the possibly corrupted ones then copy over a set from the repair directory. My question concerning this is it calls for the file c:\windows/system32\config\security any idea if this will mess up my log on information?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

Well...I don't suggest trying everything that you've seen suggested as a fix for anything...it's unlikely that such an approach will prove successful.

You've gone through the suggestions by Microsoft for troubleshooting the issue?

It worries me that you are trying "fixes" without even a clear definition of what the problem is, IMO.

Louis

#9 Brendeg

Brendeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

So far,

In your first post I read through it many times. It mentioned DrWtsn.exe, which as far as I can tell I can't get to through the RC. Next it mentions checking to see if there is a 3rd party GINA DLL. Again, since I don't have access to windows, how can I check the values in my registry from just my RC? I'm more or less at a loss atm. BTW thanks for your help.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

Your situation is complicated by the fact that you cannot boot into Windows.

I daresay that a significant portion of any documented cures/suggestions from Microsoft...assume that the user can boot into Windows.

We have a thread for users who cannot boot into either safe mode or normally...I will list this on that list and ask for additional assistance from those who may be able to overcome this.

Please be patient.

Louis

#11 Brendeg

Brendeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

Louis,

Well I found a fix and I'm back up and running.

This is what worked for me, and keep in mind I had an SP2 XP Pro install disk.

Insert and Boot from Disk.
When the Windows Install Screen Came Up, I hit Install Windows.
When the Install New or Repair Old came up I hit repair.
An hour later and a restart and I'm back in business.

Now in the middle of running Winupdates to make sure everything is updated.
Then will update and run Malware Bytes.

Do you know of a good free registry fix/cleaner program?

Thanks for all the help.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:36 PM

A repair install...is what Microsoft called an "in-place upgrade install" on its list of methods enumerated in the link provided.

"315341 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/ ) How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP"

As for registry cleaners...

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2010 - 06:40 PM.

#13 Brendeg

Brendeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

Excellent,

Thanks again for the great information!~

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

You are welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users