Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem playing some DVDs on laptop external optical drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 devonwolf

devonwolf

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

Hi,

Like lots of other laptop/notebook owners I have had the optical drive (GSA-T20N) on my laptop (ASUS Z53S) give up on me, so I have purchased an external drive (LG GE20NU11) connected by USB 2 using Win Vista. I have used this for playing/burning ripped disks, both CD and DVD. Sometimes I download a film and burn to disk on the laptop and notice that very occasionally I have trouble playing the disk on the laptop, even though I've just burned it with the same equipment. The DVD has always played in all my other players and I could watch the downloaded file on my laptop, so I didn't fuss too much.

However, the other day I bought a commercial DVD film and found that when I tried to play it on my laptop, it juddered and shook as the heads tried to read the disc. Naturally I tried the disk in every other player I had including my main PC, and none of them had any problems at all.

So I connected my external drive from my laptop, to my PC and again had no problem playing the disk. Back to the laptop and the external drive again started juddering and really struggled to play any part of the disk.

If anyone has experienced something similar or knows how to cure the problem, I'd be over the moon.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 devonwolf

devonwolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

Has no-one any ideas? I felt sure someone on here would be able to help. :thumbsup:

#3 DickNervous

DickNervous

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

Does the external DVD drive have it's own power supply or does it draw from the USB port?

If it draws from the USB port you can try a different port on the laptop or get a USB hub that is powered (has a plug) and see if that helps.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:34 AM

If it draws from the USB port you can try a different port on the laptop or get a USB hub that is powered (has a plug) and see if that helps.

I believe this is the solution right here and is also an excellent suggestion.

The USB ports on some laptops do not provide enough output power in the USB port and this causes the drive to slow down.

Purchasing a powered USB hub is an excellent idea and I think you will see better performance once you power the drive through the powered hub.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 devonwolf

devonwolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:53 AM

The external DVD drive has its own power supply from the mains.

I have tried switching USB ports on the laptop, but to no effect.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:03 AM

It appears that there is a problem with your laptop, since the disk and the drive both work with other computers.

The question is, what is different with your laptop configuration compared to your other computers configuration?

Have you checked through your laptops BIOS setup utility for some setting related to USB?

Are you using the same media player and version as the other computers you've tried this on?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 devonwolf

devonwolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

It appears that there is a problem with your laptop, since the disk and the drive both work with other computers.

The question is, what is different with your laptop configuration compared to your other computers configuration?

Have you checked through your laptops BIOS setup utility for some setting related to USB?

Are you using the same media player and version as the other computers you've tried this on?

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce,

I agree there is a problem. Exactly what that problem is, I don't know.

The laptop is completely different to my PC config., because my laptop is running WinVista, while my PC uses XP.
Everything should be more 'up-to-date' than my PC, although I keep both running on the latest releases, inc media players.

I will check BIOS settings for USB, but there is not much to change there, and I have never had any other USB problems.

However, I will check and if that is the problem I'll let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users