Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Wouldn't Start, Google searches redirected, Wouldn't Do Norton LiveUpdate, Virus Scan Clean

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TomZXu

TomZXu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:21 AM

Please help!

I have a Windows XP laptop. That Laptop was working fine until I moved to a friend's place and joined his Wireless Network.

Now, I have been unable to launch Spybot, update Spybot, update Norton Antivirus and the links on my Google searches for help get redirected to Ask.com or some other website.

I searched some of your blogs using my friend's computer. So, I have downloaded CCleaner, HijackThis and ComboFix, but don't know how to use them.

I use my computer for pretty much everything and it would be a pity if I am unable to ever use it again.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TomZXu

TomZXu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

Here is a little bit more detail.

I have been using my laptop securely for one year now. The new problem appeared when I connected to my friend's wireless connection. He uses an AirPort Express wireless router with his Mac.

I recently noticed that each time I would go to google.com to search something, the search results would appear like usual. However, whenever I would try and click one result, I would get redirected to Ask.com.

The problem became apparent when I tried to download Spybot updates. The software wouldn't even launch. I downloaded the update manually and installed it. Again, the software wouldn't launch.

Then, I tried to perform an antivirus update. I have been using the Norton Antivirus, which I got from my University. While the virus scans would be clean, the LiveUpdate wouldn't work.

Now, I am worried that my computer might be infected. I don't want to mess around with it because it has never really fully recovered from past infections and is very delicate.

I have been reading other blogs. And, I have been getting my hands on the tools that might be useful in solving the problem. However, I haven't used any because I understand that only experts can help me, if I don't want to risk losing everything on my computer. (I mention the tools in my older post.)

I would be grateful for some help.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

Try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner in Safe Mode. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users