Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Picture negatives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 *LeslieG

*LeslieG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

I have a lot of negatives that I want to scan. However because of age many of them have curled in the center. Is there a safe to flatten them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

I don't think so, although you'll probably get a better answer to that question at a Photography forum. The emulsion side is pretty fragile and could crack or peel.

Some curl is normal and won't affect the scan too badly -- the film (I assume it's 35mm) will be positioned in a film strip carrier for the scanner, and that will tend to flatten the film slightly.

#3 binini

binini

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:43 AM

take it too your local photo shop most places now offer to turn your negatives into digital images either in full colour or still in negative which ever you wont and then give them to you on either a stick or a CD although it might seem a lil pricey it is certainly money well spent as you will get the best quality and lower the risk of damage, Scanning them yourself is doable but as Capn Easy said you will need a film strip carrier but even when using that you could still damage the negatives and unless you have a good scanner you might not get the full quality

#4 dazzlerbox

dazzlerbox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Have you tried sandwiching them between two sheets of paper, and stacking a pile of heavy books on top? Make sure the curl arches upward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users