Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange audio glitches in games

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

For no reason that I can discern, the audio on my desktop has decided to go totally out of whack whenever I play a game on it. I thought it was originally a problem with Mass Effect 2 (where I first saw the issue). All sounds coming out of the speakers would be accompanied by various snaps, crackles, and pops, and it sounded like all the voices ingame were being played twice at the same time. In The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, I got the same rice krispies effect as ME2, and the background music was erratic (played superfast and seemed to spontaneously change and reset). When playing Supreme Commander, all I got was some nice screeching and constant tones.

I thought that perhaps it was a problem with programs running in fullscreen, but SupCom did it in window mode as well, and 1602 AD (or Anno 1602, whatever you know it as) didn't have issues in fullscreen mode. The strange part about all of this is that it ONLY seems to affect my games; all Windows sounds play normally, and I can listen to music and watch movies with no audio problems.

I've tried updating the audio drivers, but that had no effect. What REALLY got me was that I completely reformatted the hard drive and put a fresh install of Windows on it, yet after installing Oblivion I still have audio problems. When I check my audio device in Device Manager, it checks out as having no problems (simply disabling/enabling does nothing, either). Given the fact that absolutely nothing changed on my computer for months before this happened, it all leads me to suspect that the integrated sound chip on my mobo is screwed up, but it doesn't make sense that only games are affected, and in very odd and specific ways. Any ideas for what to do about this, short of just buying a new motherboard? Thanks for the help.

My setup:
mobo = MSI P6N SLI Platinum
gpu = EVGA GTX 260 x 2 (SLI setup)
CPU = Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz
4GB RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users