Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to install - security wise?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fiona35

fiona35

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:50 AM

Hi, I have recently had issues with trojans/viruses - I have now reinstalled my windows - losing everything - does this mean the viruses will have been removed also?

As part of my 02 broadband package, I have Mcafee security centre, it says installed components are Security center, virusscan, personal firewall, site advisor, anti spam, privacy serive and data backup.

The Mcafee scan did not find any issues.

What I would like to know, is what other security should I download to add to this (Spybot, ad aware, malware bytes??) Is any of this necessary on top of what I have or will it cause conflicts?

Many thanks

I am using a wired dell desktop, xp - any other info required?

Edited by fiona35, 01 September 2010 - 02:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fiona35

fiona35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

Any ideas anyone, please???

#3 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

I've never been a fan of McAfee, but you have everything covered there really, antivirus, firewall, antivirus.
You may want to add some on-demand scanners such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
You can also try SpywareBlaster which uses settings in your browser to block malware from infecting you in the first place.
Also make sure you have a HOSTS file.

Edited by Sightless, 01 September 2010 - 06:01 PM.

#4 fiona35

fiona35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:20 AM

Thank you for your response, I am downloading the suggested programs/scanners now.

What is a HOSTS file please???

#5 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:23 AM

* A HOST(s) file redirect you if you entered in your browser an url to that IP that was set by a program or infection.
So if http://www.google.com IP has set to XXX.XXX.XXX it wil redict to XXX.XXX.XXX.
It can be usefull to block malware sites. But infections can use it to make abuse of it, so you can't visit AV websites or help websites.

______________________________ Other Recommend Software ____________________________
  • Install WinPatrol, a great protection program that helps you monitor for unwanted files or applications.
  • Install Web of Trust (WOT). WOT keeps you from dangerous websites with warnings and blockings.
  • Protect your computer from removable or USB drive infections with Panda USB Vaccine, an effective method to prevent malware from spreading.
  • Keep all your softwares updated. Visit Secunia Software Inspector to find out if any updates required.
______________________________ Recommend Actions ____________________________
  • Keep your AV(Antivirus) and Firewall up to date.
  • Keep your Windows up to date.
  • Do not use Torrentz, P2P.

Edited by Driesiooo, 04 September 2010 - 04:32 AM.

#6 fiona35

fiona35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:04 AM

Thank you, I am just downloading all of the above suggestions - fingers crossed for a virus free computer from now on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users