Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm having a difficulty. Slow startup!!!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 suave3stacks

suave3stacks

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

I'm having problems. The computer been going slow for a while and I've tried as much as I could to speed it up with no luck. It seems to get slower than faster. :thumbsup:
I tried using comboFix and found out by this sight that I should not have used it on my own. Good thing nothing bad happened, but I don't know how to uninstall it! I have xp, service pack 2. Any help I could receive would be greatly appreciated! Thanx...

Edited by suave3stacks, 31 August 2010 - 06:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:42 PM

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#3 suave3stacks

suave3stacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

I see how the man on the video opens the laptop with one screw, but mine is different. I took out three departments on the back of it, including the battery compartment, to try and clean it. I can't access the board or fans. I have the compressed air already. This could possibly help, but I'm skeptical that this is the problem. I would try it if I could get it open. I tried to scan for virus and spyware while it was in safe mode today. When I put it in safe mode, it booted quickly. I guess that's expected though.

When I booted back off of safe mode, the internet seemed to take even longer to come on. The boot seem to move faster. While it was scanning, I moved a bunch of memory hog files to my 500 GB notebook. Is there a way to tell what the problem is: hardware clean, software problem or etc...

The two screwdrivers I had manage to be able to fit in order to open those compartments on the back of the laptop, I would probably need to other different sizes of small screwdriver to open all the other screws back there.

#4 suave3stacks

suave3stacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

If anyone could help me, I think I know what's given me problems. I'm going to be trying to get rid of it myself. If someone could meet me on here tomorrow at 9 am eastern time, it would be great. It's an execute file and a driver. I know their paths and everything. Just not sure should I just remove them manually or what. Maybe just post me some advice on how to deal with them would help.

The executable is apart of nero application. The driver is located in system32 folder. This folder pops up sometimes when the computer first starts up. I believe this driver is the reason why it do that.

I'm new to this so if no one answer me here, I would be making a new post I guess to get someone attention.

Thank You

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

If the Nero application is the source of your problems...simply uninstall it and see if the problems go away.

If not, then you have made a wrong guess.

Louis

#6 suave3stacks

suave3stacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

What about the drivers? How do I get rid of them? I have their paths...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

What drivers are you referring to? Filenames and paths would significant.

Nero has drivers...if Nero drivers are borking the system...simply uninstall Nero.

Louis

#8 suave3stacks

suave3stacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

The drivers that seem to be given me problems:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\EABFiltr.sys

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\Eabusb.sys

Well this is an executable file:

C:\Programs Files\HPQ\shared\hpqwmi.exe

IOBitSecurity always alert me to them, so I'm thinking maybe they're the problem. It asks me do I want to allow them to be in action or something like that. I remember seem to work better when I don't allow action of them. What do you suggest and how do I find out what's the problem if this isn't. I'm thinking these are system drivers and executable files. I'm like :thumbsup: if these have nothing to do with it.

Edited by suave3stacks, 08 September 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:01 PM

http://www.file.net/process/eabfiltr.sys.html

Eabusb.sys: Product name: Easy Access Button Utility, EAB-II USB Keyboard filter driver, Manufacturer: Compaq Computer Corp.

The first two files you mentioned are HP files installed on your system.

The 3d file is also a file installed by HP, http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/hpqwmi/.

Louis

#10 suave3stacks

suave3stacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

http://www.file.net/process/eabfiltr.sys.html

Eabusb.sys: Product name: Easy Access Button Utility, EAB-II USB Keyboard filter driver, Manufacturer: Compaq Computer Corp.

The first two files you mentioned are HP files installed on your system.

The 3d file is also a file installed by HP, http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/hpqwmi/.

Louis

So, could they be a problem? Do you believe it could be something else? What should I try? Any idea you could give me would be appreciate it. I mean, that was my guess. What do you think? Do you have any idea?

Do you have an idea why IOBitSecurity would alert me to those? Oh yeah, and to go along with the long time my browser take to start, my laptop freezes up. It's crazy irritating. I have to restart and wait forever for it to start. Hey, the confusing thing is I don't know if it's the start-up processes of the laptop or the browser that's giving me problems. It seems it use to be the start up processes, but since I moved a lot of memory hungry files over, it seem to be just the browser. What would you suggest?

Thanx

Edited by suave3stacks, 08 September 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#11 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Hey what's up, when you have a slow computer the first thing I always check is my start up Tab within the system configuration utility.

Open your start menu, click on Run, type msconfig press enter. Now select the Start up tab and check disable all. then click OK restart your computer and see if that doesn't help speed it up. If you have anti-virus like Mcafee or Norton you won't stop them but if you have a free anti-virus like IOBitSecurity it will turn it off. so once you determine if it was to many start up programs. Don't forget to enable your anti-virus and if your not sure which one it is enable all of them until you find out which one is your anti-virus.

Try opening your web browser to see if it is faster, but don't surf if your anti-virus is off.

Let me know how that works

#12 suave3stacks

suave3stacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

I will give this a try...
Thanx

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2010 - 05:05 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote ~ Hamluis.

#13 suave3stacks

suave3stacks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Hey what's up, when you have a slow computer the first thing I always check is my start up Tab within the system configuration utility.

Open your start menu, click on Run, type msconfig press enter. Now select the Start up tab and check disable all. then click OK restart your computer and see if that doesn't help speed it up. If you have anti-virus like Mcafee or Norton you won't stop them but if you have a free anti-virus like IOBitSecurity it will turn it off. so once you determine if it was to many start up programs. Don't forget to enable your anti-virus and if your not sure which one it is enable all of them until you find out which one is your anti-virus.

Try opening your web browser to see if it is faster, but don't surf if your anti-virus is off.

Let me know how that works

Simple, yet effective...
It's a genius little trick! :thumbsup:

My browser didn't pop straight up, but definitely faster than before. I really can't believe it, so I'm getting ready to restart again to make sure. I've tried messing with it before, but never disabled everything. If my reboot is faster a third time, then this is the key to me restarting faster. How do I completely stop programs at start up? How do I know what should start up or not in the beginning? Is this my choice?

#14 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:33 AM

Microsoft doesn't advocate the use of MSConfig for controlling which programs run when your computer starts:

For XP :- "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration.

It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

For Vista :- "The System Configuration utility finds and isolates issues.

However, it is not a startup management program."

For Windows 7 :- "System Configuration is intended to find and isolate problems;

But it's not meant as a startup management program".

Couldn't really be clearer for all systems.

The startup tab in msconfig is handy for a quick look, but you do need something else
such as AutoRuns for a complete rundown.

Autoruns:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Just check the logon tab, you don't need much running at startup.

#15 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:37 AM

The only thing you really need at start up is your anti-virus, but if your not sure then go to the startup list tab on this website enter your startup program and bleeping computers.com will gladly let you know if you need it to start up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users