Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Boot up issues follwing AVG Scan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 towelie8

towelie8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi all,

Desperate for help and cannot imagine I am the only one who has had this!

During an AVG scan (possibly by coincidence) I got a second fake anti virus program, including resident shield, program appear. I had delat wiht one a couple of weeks ago using Malwarebytes and Windows defender but this one refused to shift. After running Malware bytes in normal mode, I then then ran super anti spyware in safe mode. It removed about 300 threats (!!!) to my machine, but then hung on the welcome screen to windows (running XP pro).

Reading up on various forums I followed advice and ran AVG in safe mode, in the command line version. I looked over and saw that it had detected a problem with WINLOGON.EXE and EXPLORER.EXE and had deleted both. Warning signs, as you can imagine went off. I let the PC finish the scan overnight and sure enough, in the morning I tried to boot the machine and only got the initial Windows start up screen before it restarted on its own accord.

Got a copy of XP (not original) and tried to gain access to recovery mode but to no avail. Don't want to re format machine (believe I have product key on sticker on machine) as all my music etc is there :thumbsup:.

Any ideas on how to bring my machine back to life would be much appreciated as GF is about to start uni again and I dont have the money for a new machine yet!!

Thanks all, apologies if this has been posted before just having a nightmare and don't know what to do next.

Thanks

Towelie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

Hi Towelie, can you please try to create and boot from the CD?

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.
  • Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

• When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Let me know if you can get this far and if so, let me know if you have service pack 3 for xp installed.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users