Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor will not resume from standby

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

When resuming my PC from standby my monitor screen remains off, blank.

If I force the PC to shut down by holding the on/off button in, as I have to because I can't see to shut down properly, and then reboot the monitor comes back on as normal. I can get the monitors digital self test to show on the screen when I press the monitors - button or if I press the + button I see a message on the screen reading ''Analogue input in power save mode. Press any key on keyboard or mouse'', so the screen is not totally dead, it's just that the signal from the PC is not able to be displayed.
Obviously pressing any key on keyboards or mouse does not have any effect.

The PC is a Dell Optiplex 170l with pentium 4 2.80ghz and 512RAM while the monitor is a Dell 174FPV.
I am using windows XP pro and SP3

I bought the PC and monitor from a friend last year without it having been reformatted. It has had this problem all the time I've had it but my friend says she never used to use the standby so she couldn't say if it was the same before she sold it.

I have the feeling there will be a simple setting that needs changed to solve the problem but don't know where to look so perhaps someone here will be able to point me in the right direction.

Sorry if there is more information I need to include here but I can't think of anything. It really is that simple.

Thanks for reading

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

One option would be to turn of the sleep mode for the monitor in the control panel.

Go to Start> Control Panel> Power Options. Under Setting for Home/Office Desk power schemes you have the option to Turn of Monitor, change this to Never.

Are you using a screen saver?

Edited by dc3, 31 August 2010 - 10:45 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:49 AM

Hi dc3, thanks for the quick reply.

I checked the sleep mode setting for the monitor but that is already set to never.

I am using a screensaver, the windows xp logo. Perhaps I should try disabling that?

David

#4 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

Just to update the thread... My monitor will now resume from stand by :-)

The only thing I can say that might have cured the fault is my returning the windows services settings to their defaults. I decided to try the stand by a couple of days later and it's working.

So a positive outcome, even if I didn't really learn anything from it.

Well at least I'll know where to look next time I need some advice.

Glad the Bleeping Computer community is here.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users