Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do i upgrade my ram on my dell vostro 1400?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lemon2323

Lemon2323

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

I would like to upgrade my ram using this chip http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Technology-C..._pr_product_top but i do not know how to install it and what to do after i install it. someone help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

This link should work, manual for memory and your vostro

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...y.htm#wp1050718
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Lemon2323

Lemon2323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

do i have to remove the memory off my computer and add it or just add it. i have 1 gb if that helps. i really appreciate your help. thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

You may need to remove the original module to gain access to the second slot.

Something that you may want to consider is the fact that your computer is capable of being run in dual channel which will speed up your computer considerably. But in order to do this you have to use modules with the exact same specification.

To find out what you have install you can download SIW (System Information for Windows). When it is opened scroll down to the hardware section and click on Memory. It should list the information for the module, the amount of the RAM, the manufacture, and most importantly the model of the module.

If you will post that information I will see if I can help you locate a matching module.

The alternative is to purchase two new modules. Crucial has paired modules starting with 1GB 2x512GB for $37.99, and 2GB 2x1GB $47.99.

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-...+1400/list.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Lemon2323

Lemon2323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/sa...2323/memory.jpg here

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:19 PM

After reading thru your thread in the malware removal forum I don't think the extra ram will fix your slowness problems.

I run a lean and mean setup with XP pro and only have 512 megs of ram, what cpu does your have?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

I just took a quick look at some of the items you have installed on that system...I suggest that you review such and eliminate BHOs, IE add-ons, and programs like Real Player, Adobe, etc...which sap a lof of your system resources.

Did you read the link that Propaganda Panda posted concerning slow computers?

Louis

#8 Lemon2323

Lemon2323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

what cpu does your have? - not sure

and what programs should i delete cause i dont want to delete anythin important

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

You are the only person who can decide...what programs are "important" on your system.

What's important to me...is not important to you since you have some things installed that will never (again) be on a system I own :thumbsup:. I used to install a variety of different programs just for experimental purposes, but I don't bother with that anymore.

Essentially...I start with removing any programs installed that I don't actually use. Then I escalate to programs which are used, but not very often. Eventually, I wind up with all programs installed serving some purpose on my system, rather than just being decorations on my desktop and programs list.

Toolbars...are notable for slowing a system down. I don't employ those.

A very good guide, IMO: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

A topic worth reading through, IMO: Slow Computer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690.html

Louis

#10 Lemon2323

Lemon2323
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

will installing the ram help increase my computers speed?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Adding more RAM is the easiest and fastest way to speed up your computer, as long as you aren't already maxed out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users