Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a WinVista install disk?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

Im downloading an uncracked ISO of WinVista Home Premium 64 bit because my ex girlfriend is having me fix her computer, and as a last resort, and with her permission, I want to reinstall the operating system. Because her Computer came with a Windows activation key, and not the CD, I figured Id just download the ISO, and put it on a DVD and install it.

PROBLEM: Im clean out of DVD's.

Any way around this or do I need to wait til I can get some DVDs?

I have two, 2GB Flash Drives...
I dont have any blank CDs....
Any help is wanted :huh:

Edited by ComputerTalk-Jayson, 31 August 2010 - 02:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTechDude

TheTechDude

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

I believe that talking about getting copies of OS's for free is against BC's rules and i don't think that Microsoft likes it to much either. But, because you are downloading and uncracked one I will stop harping on you. The best way would be for you to buy blank DVD's they don't cost much. Otherwise the only way top go would be to get a bigger flash drive because GB is to small.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

What kind of computer is it, before you go an download an ISO that is full of viruses and other malware?

#4 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Im aware that things like this could contain harmful malware, but be assured I make sure I use torrents that have many many many good comments. No comments, or bad comments mean I dont use that torrent.
Its a Sony VAIO.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Im aware that things like this could contain harmful malware, but be assured I make sure I use torrents that have many many many good comments. No comments, or bad comments mean I dont use that torrent.
Its a Sony VAIO.

You do know that people can make bots to post comments to torrent sites, and thusly prey on people who think like you.

You may want to check out the documentation for your computer, as it may have come with a recovery partition. If you are unable to do so, then I would recommend calling Sony Support, and see what can be done. I would highly advise that you do not continue with your current course of troubleshooting, as it could make things a lot worse.

#6 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:03 PM

There is no recovery partition, she had her friend remove it. She said something about it being named EISA or something like that?
I wont be making anything worse, I tested the .ISO with Virtual PC, and did scans with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Even worse, Her warranty is void because she has dropped it so many times. It must have done something bad to the processor and/or its cooling unit....The thing heats up like a stove.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

There is no such thing, IMO...as an uncracked version of any O/S authorized by Microsoft for download, other than thru Microsoft commercial channels.

Discussion Forum Rules - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

I don't think anyone here can advise you on the use of such an illegal copy of any Microsoft O/S.