Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video After AGP Card Installation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jay18

Jay18

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Weird problem....

I installed a new HD 4350 AGP card in a customer's Dimension 4600. Now I have no video through the new card or the onboard video. Once I pull the card I get onboard video back.

The process: I ran the setup CD, rebooted, shut down and installed the card, booted up and had no video. I have disabled the onboard driver and tried the process again, to no avail. I don't have a BIOS option to disable the onboard video, but it is set to auto detect.

I lose video on both when the AGP card is installed, and get it back when I remove it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Dell Dimension 4600
Windows XP Pro 32-bit
1.5GB RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

You've tried the new card...on a different system?

Louis

#3 Jay18

Jay18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

Haha...yeah, just did. Works like a champ in a different system.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

Then...I'd look at the PSU requirements for the card.

Not that 300W is that terrific...but Dell tends to put minimal PSUs in their systems...and that's an older system, so I would check the PSU.

Louis

Note: Dimension specs say 250W was original PSU.

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2010 - 04:54 PM.

#5 Jay18

Jay18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

Sorry...I forgot to mention that he changed out the motherboard and P/S. They are not stock. Newer Dell MoBo (to add the AGP slot) and a Raidmax 450W P/S. Guy is wanting to use it as an HTPC and I'm trying to get him an HDMI output. We don't have PCIx available on the board and he doesn't have the budget to upgrade the board again. :thumbsup:

I believe the problem is with the MoBo and it's inability to see the card. Other AGP cards work in it, and the card I'm adding works in other machines. I have another Radeon HD card that I tried and it does the same thing. I found some hotfixes on the AMD site that will hopefully allow the board to see it. I'll try that today and report back what happens.

Thanks for the tips!

Jay

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

Do check out the last few responses here.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users