Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows root>system 32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tandykell

tandykell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

My Dell Inspiron 1000 was working just fine until I deleted a program called Multiplicity which was supposed to allow my computer to control all computers on my home network. It seemed to have been a Windows 7 program and not applicable to the XP Home edition I have on the laptop. I do not have any cd's for this computer as hurricane Ike wiped out my computer room with all of my computers and disks, etc.

How do I obtain and install a copy of the file? windows root>system32\hall.dll.

thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2010 - 12:59 PM.
Removed email address, protection from spambots ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

Never heard of hall.dll, are you sure you don't mean HAL.DLL?

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

OK. This is what you need to do:

First you need to go to the store and ask the clerk for Windows XP... :thumbsup:

No. Seriously, go to the store and purchase a blank CD-RW disc. They are extremely cheap and you will need one for this recovery method.

Now, go to: http://www.reactos.org/en/download.html, click on the live cd download, and save it to the computer you typed your post on. THE DOWNLOAD IS ONLY 35mb, SHOULD GO QUICKLY DEPENDING ON INTERNET SPEED.

Next, go to http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html. This will download Active@ISO burner, Which you will need.

For this next step, you will need to find a computer with a CD-RW Disc drive.

Insert the CD-RW disc you purchased (or borrowed :trumpet: ) into the CD-RW Disc drive.

Install Active@ISO burner, when it finishes, open Active@ISO.

From the active@ISO main window, you should see a text field next to the words: ISO PATH. Click the button on the right, and select the .ISO you downloaded earlier.

Then select the CD-RW drive that your disc is in, and press the BURN button.

It may take a while for the disc to burn, but you will know when it's done.

Now you need to download one last file: http://worldsfunniestgames.webs.com/Downloads%20UNSTABLE/hal.zip
***THIS ZIP FILE CONTAINS A COPY OF HAL.DLL TAKEN FROM A WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP3 INSTALLATION***

Extract the zip file. Now right click the folder you just extracted, on the right click menu, there is an option SEND TO , mouse onto that selection. another popup should appear, click on the drive that your disc is in.

Now go to My Computer, right click on the disc drive that your disc is in and click Explore.

From the new window, click on File, and click "Write these files to CD".

You now have a copy of HAL.DLL on the disc you burned. Go ahead and eject the CD.

No go back to your computer that has the problem. Insert the disc into the cd drive.

Now you may have to alter your BIOS settings. Power on your PC. You may see a message similar to: "Press any key to boot from CD", if so then press any key and skip this next part.

BIOS CONFIGURATION:
If you see "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\HAL.DLL File Missing or corrupt", then you need to change the settings of your BIOS.

restart your computer and watch the screen. When BIOS appears, it should usually tell you which key to press to enter BIOS settings. Press that key. You will be presented with BIOS settings.

depending on your BIOS, that should be an option for Boot Priority or something similar (such as Boot Order).
select that option.

Now you need to make your CD drive appear at the top of the list. Once that is done, exit BIOS w/ SAVE SETTINGS, and restart your machine.

Now, once you see the boot from CD message, press any key.

Go through the multiple screens of the ReactOS Live CD setup, eventually you will be presented with a desktop.

Now, select your Windows drive from My Computer, and navigate to *:\WINDOWS\System32. *=Your drive letter

Finally, copy HAL.DLL from the cd, to your system32 folder. Now you can reboot. Remove the cd from your PC.

If all goes well you should see the Windows Desktop again! :flowers:

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

Thats a lot of work!

If the error message is Cannot find \windows\system32\hal.dll this might be considerably easier

Borrow an XP cd from someone and boot of it
Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Restart
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

Dell Says...

Louis

#6 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

@eyesee

That would have been my next suggestion, but sometimes you just don't know anyone with an XP CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users