Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Freeware Graphics/Photomanipulation Program

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Kat66

Kat66

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:11 AM

I use Gimp myself,saw it recommended in a digital camera mag. It does almost everything my old version of photoshop did (still miss it though, since my Mac died!).
It takes a little while to get used to gimp like holding down control and left click to clone etc. I still think it is amazing for something that is free.
I also used Photo Editor which is also free; it has a facility to turn photos into characatures which is great fun even if the results look a little disturbing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Scooter B

Scooter B

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

Add another vote for Irfanview. There is a seperate download on the same site to allow use of .8bf plug ins/filters and there are TONS of free .8bf filters out there.

If you did through the Irfanview site there are lots of good tutorials, user forum and links to downloadable filters.

I also like Photoscape for some things.

Your Canon 20D should have come with both Zoom Browser and DPP which lets you work in RAW.

I have GIMP but found the learning curve too long in part to the effects of a disabling sleep disorder. I have a lot of short term memory recall problems and depend on forward momentum to stay awake....getting bogged down = falling alseep or into a daydream like gaze.

You can get PS Elements free with one of the Bamboo tablets and the more entry level one on sale is about the same price as Elements. If you don't have a tablet stylus interface thing yet and like PS Elements you can essentially get both for the price of Elements alone.

Although I did the above I still find myself using DPP for RAW manipulation and then Irfanview 90% of the time, Photoscape 5% and Picassa 5% of the time. So far I prefere Picassa's red eye removal over the others..its quick, clean and has a good auto mode for detecting, selecting and removing the red eye.

If you are the original owner and a registered user with Canon I would contact them about getting the DPP software as a replacement disc as it should have been included with the camera.
Refusing to make waves is not an indicator of a life well lived. Refusing to make waves is the state that precedes drowning. - Paul Coughlin author

#18 Gr8gramie

Gr8gramie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:13 PM

:gathering:
I really swear by Photoscape right now. . . until I run across something better. This is only 2011. Technology is bouncing off the walls! :bowdown:

In Photoscape, you can click on the object tab, then there is a little square box of a mountain and sun scene.
Click on that one and a menu will pop up above that. It has all sorts of things to insert into your background.
All the way up to the top of that, is the word, "photos." Click on that and the left side will be the area to search for any of your family pics or any downloaded pics you want to add to the background you're working on.
Sometimes I use backgrounds which I have downloaded from many places on the net and have inserted them into a folder I named, "Backgrounds."
I work with a lot of black and white photos from daze gone by. I spruce them up with color. Flowers, Spaceships, Jack Sparrow! LOL. Depends on which kid I'm making the photo for. They love the heck out of them. (my kids have grandkids).
So they really think what I'm doing with their pics is fantastic. Not boring anymore!

Besides inserting pics, you can flip love switching people, crop round or square, resize, mole removal, clone, text in color, paint, texture, redeye correction, sharpen/contrast, filter, bloom light, backlight, negative etc., speech bubble, so many frames I didn't bother to count and with so many ways to fix the frame with colors, sparkles, when adding a pic you can choose whether or not to have it opaque and to what extent.
On a Startrek, background, I added my boys head which I cropped of course, and did the opaque to where he could barely be seen. I called it "Q still watches over Startrek."

If you don't like what you did, you can "UNDO," the heck out of it. Many times.
You can add as may pic items to the photo you're working on as you like. You don't like it, delete that one, the one before that, etc.. Just keep going until you get what you like, then save. Save it to . . . I like jpeg, or what ever it's called.
I think that adding many items to a pic is called "LAYERS," in other photo editors.

Also in Photoscape, you can make Collages, work in the Raw Converter,(I had to use Raw Converter, when I was fixing my grand daughters photo. It was her first camera and didn't know about the little switch on the side). Batch editing, Screen capture, Splitter and Animation.
These days I am not one that can learn quite as easily as I used to. So you know how easy this editor must be.

I'm sure it has more stuff which I have yet to discover. My Photoscape is version 3.5.
So hard to actually believe it's a free program!

I do have Gimp, of course.
Now, I use another tiny editor, "Photo! Editor," for wrinkle smoothing/teeth whitening (I also use the toothbrush for the whites of the eyes!) and caricature when I'm working on us older people. Can do that before or even after using Photoscape. I use Caricature for picking up faces that gravity has done its toll on! :thumbsup:

Guess What? I just gave away all my little secrets to a stranger! :oopsign:

#19 mmason

mmason

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Although it's a Canon 20D (professional grade digital SLR) it really didn't come with any sort of photo-editing software.

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

Downloads for Canon software available here:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_50d#DriversAndSoftware

Remember to select your operating system from the drop down menu.

Usually the web version is officially for 'upgrading an older version only', but I have used it successfully for a fresh install.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users