Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Freeware Graphics/Photomanipulation Program

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I have an older version of Photoshop (6.0; last available update 2007). But I'm looking for something easier to use that I don't have to buy. (As we all know Photoshop is $$$!)

Although I dl'd Gimp I find it a little unwieldy & confusing. The Gimpshop version is not especially up to date & doesn't seem to even have as much as my antiquated Photoshop.

I have Windows VISTA with 2 GB of RAM that runs at 2.13GHz. Lots of free disc space. I do a fair bit of editing of u/w digital photos, so something that I could do easy colour corrections to would be good.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks, all!

=SubMariner=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Not sure about the extent of the editing you want to do, but have you looked at IrfanView?
About as easy as it gets. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

Anything you move to is going to be a fair amount of new learning, you're looking for an exact photoshop clone, and you're not really going to get one.

GIMP is still your best option, you're just going to have to learn where everything moved to.

What do you mostly use photoshop for?

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

Mostly I use photoshop to edit u/w photos that have been taken with a digital SLR. And occasionally some above-water pix as well. ;)

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg
=SubMariner=

#5 helloyo53

helloyo53

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

I would say GIMP is probably your best bet too. I used GIMP before I bought PSE8, an after using it for a long time, I got used to all of the controls. In GIMP, I find that all the controls are not as "in your face" as PS, so you have to search around for them.

IRFanView also works good too. I have downloaded it and used it without much difficulty.

#6 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

What about the software that came with your camera? If you have a digital SLR I'd imagine they gave you some kind of photo-editing program. The one that came with my Canon (DPP) is really not bad at all, and is sometimes a time-saver over using Photoshop.

#7 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

Although it's a Canon 20D (professional grade digital SLR) it really didn't come with any sort of photo-editing software.

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg
=SubMariner=

#8 God Mode

God Mode

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:50 AM

Well if you need help with anything in GIMP I can help you out with it since thats what I use.
Uhm... another free one i used to use is photofiltre.... but that one doesnt have layers or anything overly fancy for that matter... which is annoying.

#9 Eraser23

Eraser23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:05 AM

As many have said, try using GIMP, but as you seem to want software for mostly photo processing and editing try:

Paint.NET

Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.

Paint.NET

-------------------------------

PhotoPlus 6 (used to have to buy it - recent versions still require payment - VERSION 6 IS NOW FREE, but does need e-mail registration)

At its essence, PhotoPlus is a Photoshop clone without the most advanced features, for a fraction of the price. The interface is almost identical, from the tool icons to the layers pane. PhotoPlus allows working with several layers and supports masks, but you can't add new toolbars. Using layers, you can create and edit animations for the Web, and a number of filters are here. The set of tools is not as large as Photoshop's, but it's enough for retouching photos.

PhotoPlus 6 download.

Photoscape

Photoscape is a fun and easy photo editing software that enables you to fix and enhance photos. PhotoScape is one of the most popular photo editing software on my website. I think the reasons for that are obvious. PhotoScape provides very easy to use functions specific to photo editing. You can resize photos, add text to them, change their contrast, make them black & white, change brightness, combine multiple photos, and more.

Photoscape Website

Picassa (Windows only)

Picasa is brought to you by Google, and yes (as expected), is a totally free photo program...Picasa is one of the most advanced free Photo Editing Software. It lets you manage your complete photo library, edit photos easily, and upload photos to Picasa Web Album.

Picassa

#10 snowghost

snowghost

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

Theres a another little photo editing app called Photobie, it is a little power house and it's still free, but I have a feeling it want stay that way for long. And there a good forum at the site you can gat any help you need by just asking and he has a few start up movies to get you use to the app that you can watch on line at you convenience.

Just google photobie, you can't miss it

#11 jdthelen

jdthelen

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

One other suggestion...I know you wanted free software, but have you considered Photoshop Elements? It is much cheaper than full blown photoshop with a lot of the same functions and it looks and feels similar to what your used to. You can get it on the ps website with a $20 rebate for $79 and/or a 30 free trial Photoshop Elements 9 or find a copy on ebay even cheaper.

Its my favorite editor.

#12 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

For simple jobs, like resizing photos, I like Irfanview.

For bigger jobs Gimp is a great choice. I do also have Photoshop Elements -- it was a freebie when I bought a new DVD drive for my computer. The nice thing about Elements is the large user base means there's good support in photo forums, etc.

#13 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

I've been using GIMP and does a pretty good job. It offers a lot of the same features that photoshop does but like the others said, not as easily navigable.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#14 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

A bit late jumping in here, but there are some decent tutorials for Gimp on the net. Try these:

The Basics

Gimp Tutorials.net

GHUJ

Tutorialized - Gimp Tutorials

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#15 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,467 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

IrfanView and Gimp are good

I like and use Paint.Net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users