Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive screwed too tight or not ??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NeverGivUpChris

NeverGivUpChris

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:57 AM

I had recently bought a brand new computer and was having problems booting windows. I could install it from the disc fine and when the HDD did boot there would be no problem I could install/run software even games ect. But the inconsistant boot failures I could not fix. I recently had a look inside and found so problems whatsoever with the build the only thing I noticed was that the hard drive screws were in incredibly tight on both sides. I then loosened all of the screwes (so that the hard drive can move a little bit) and over the last few days I hve had no problems. Is this a coincedence or could I have resolved the problem I cant think of any reason why loosening the screws would correct the Hard drive problems ??

Edited by NeverGivUpChris, 31 August 2010 - 08:04 AM.

A Royale With Cheese

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

I dont know if tightening down the screws would apply to much pressure onto the disk to read properly, you would think it would have a continuing affect after boot(those times it did successfully). If the problem is solved then no more worries, right? Perhaps you should run check disk or something similiar, to check the hard drive for bad sectors.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 31 August 2010 - 10:04 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

If you have any concerns regarding the condition of the hdd, go to the website of the manufacturer of the hdd and download their diagnostic tool and run it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users