Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JWAT

JWAT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

I have xp windows - home version, I have lost my task bar and all my shortcut icons. I have tried everything from doing a scan with my computer in safe mode as well as normal mode. The system comes up as clean. I have tried to do a restore several times and still the only thing that comes up when I start my system is the wallpaper. I have to hit Cltr+Alt+Del in order to get the windows task manager up so I can get to my programs. I do not have any xp windows disk, because when I bought this system 3 years ago the system was already loaded with xp. Can anyone help???? The reason I think the userinit is corrupt is beacuse when I tried a restore nothing changed, all that comes up is a message that says"Unserinit Logon Application has encounted a problem and needs to close." So I think that is is so corrupt that it will not allow the unerinit to be overwritten. HELP!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

Can you boot into safe mode to run System Restore? Select a restore point before the problem started.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:10 AM

Many commercially made brand name systems have what would be on the oem Windows disk on the hard drive instead of giving you a disk.

Your problem is most likely the result of a virus.

You need to repair Windows or reload Windows completely as far as I can see.

Click ctrl/alt/delete and see if it brings up the task manager, and if it does see if you can start explorer.exe (explorer - not Internet Explorer).

What brand of computer and what operating system do you have and have you looked on your manufacturer's support site for instructions?

USERINIT is the program which Winlogon runs immediately after a user successfully logs onto a Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003 PC. USERINIT runs logon scripts, re-establishes network connections, and then starts Explorer.exe, the Windows user interface (the START button, etc..).

Recommendation :
An integral part of the operating system – leave well alone. Depending on what runs at logon on your PC and on the network (if you are connected to one), and also depending on the speed of your PC, USERINIT will normally stay in your Task List for only 30 seconds to 3 minutes, and will then terminate and disappear off the Task List. If you experience USERINIT errors on logon on a Windows 2000 PC/Server, make sure you have installed at least Service Pack 4 for Windows 2000. If you experience errors in other circumstances, then check your PC for viruses.
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_u.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 November 2005 - 12:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users