Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal System Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fiona35

fiona35

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

Hi, please can anyone assist me with this problem.

I have a dell desktop, running XP.

The following message appears after beginning to log on

STOP:C0000021a (Fatal System Error)
The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down.

I am unable to start in safe mode

Is there anything I can do to restore my computer to working condtion?

Many thanks, I really hope someone can assist me please let me know if you need more info, thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fiona35

fiona35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:34 AM

Ok I have run a test for windows blue screen, the error msg is uncorrectable data error or media is write protected, basically what i want to know is, has my hard drive died or will reinstaling windows fix this issue as I'm sure I have discs, somewhere!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#4 fiona35

fiona35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thank you for the response, this is probably a thick question, but if i cannot get to anywhere on my comp, how can i download/install anything? It doesnt even start in safe mode.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

I'm the one who is thick, sorry...sometimes I don't read titles and sometimes I just don't read at all...my apologies.

Your comment about "running a test" was all that I remembered when I replied. Speaking of which..."uncorrectable data error or media is write protected"...how did you get that interpretation of your error message?

STOP 21A errors...can be any number of things, including malware. Following is from http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm:

"0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders."

This is pretty much in line with what I have seen for many of the 21A STOP errors carrying a status of 0xC0000005.

I will (now that I realize your system is not bootable) ask one of the BC Malware Team members to take a look and offer some suggestions. They can offer you better assistance and guidance.

Please be patient :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 fiona35

fiona35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

I am able to run diagnostic test thing - a sympton tree test i think it was called this is what the errors state
error code 0F00:0244 and 0F00:1A44 and 0F00:1344, all 3 errors say msg: Block 293626 as well The tick chart thing shows that the verify test, read test and confidence test failed. I don't actually understand any of what I have written!
I hadn't realised this could be linked to virus/malware, but I have recently had probs with Trojans
Win32.Bamital.c(v)
Win32.Generic!BT
Hiloti.ba(v)
I copied their names down from the ad aware program that found them

Thank you for seeking assistance for me.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hmm...

A hard drive with problems...can generate the type of errors that you have posted about. I suggest running either the Dell hard drive test...or the appropriate diagnostic available at the website of your hard drive manufacturer.

Dell Hard Drive Disk Self Test.

Related reading, Here.

Perhaps then, we can get pointed in the right direction.

Louis

#8 fiona35

fiona35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:41 AM

Thank you for your help, I followed the instructions, had a few issues with missing files etc, but all is now good, just want to sort the security out now, so off to another thread to seek advice! Thanks again Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users