Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up problem. please help.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

I was gonna dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu on my netbook. But Ubuntu wasnt good for my netbook (long story) So I deleted the partition Ubuntu was on and made my Win7 partition absorb it. But this deleted GRUB (the bootloader you use to dual boot linux and windows) So it wouldnt do anything but giv me a GRUB error. I tried to repair this with several different Linuxs and tried installing a new bootloader but nothing worked. I also tried to use my win7 recovery disk and use "start up repair" but it says everything is fine and doesnt do anything. Also the commands in command prompt to reinstall the windows boot loader will not work. I reinstalled Ubuntu and can get to Win7 now but I cant get to my netbooks built in recovery mode (a 10 gig hidden partition) wen I tell GRUB to boot it, it just shows a black screen with a blinking underscore. If I coud get back to that and send my netbook back to factory settings all would be good. PLEASE HELP ME.

I also apologize for this bulge of stuff im very bad at writing these things. Thanks for any help. If you need any more info please ask.

I also tried easybcd and it didnt work.

Edited by rolltide101, 31 August 2010 - 01:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:23 AM

a slight update. I got on the 10 gig recovery partition and in the recovery folder I found WIM files. They are both around 3.5 gigs. Are these windows 7 recovery images? and if so i there any way I coud use them to fix this problem?

Another update. Now no matter which partition I tell grub to boot from it goes to my windows 7 installation. It doesnt even try to go to recovery now.... any thoughts? Im at a compete loss

Edited by rolltide101, 31 August 2010 - 02:57 AM.

#3 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:14 AM

Fixed it. For anyone who has this problem or a similar problem in the future. I used easybcd.

1 get easybcd http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
2 install it
3 go to 'bootloader setup'
4 install BCD (it didnt fix the problem for me but dont worry)
5 put in your win7 recovery cd/thumb drive
(download here) http://www.intowindows.com/download-window...overy-disc-now/
6 it automatically detected something was wrong and fixed it for me. But if it doesnt go to startup repair and im sure it will fix it for you too! Apparently GRUB was the problem and taking it out of the picture allowed windows to repair it.

BUT! I still cant use f9 to get to my recovery partition. Any help there???
Its an Asus T101mt if that helps.

Also the partition isnt hidden anymore and is marked as my D: drive.

Edited by rolltide101, 31 August 2010 - 04:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users