Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me please!!!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Caeden

Caeden

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:40 AM

I've recently bought these parts and built a new computer. When I first built it, I installed Vista and I had no problems, I've recently installed the full version of Windows 7 Home Premium and the problems started to happen (coincidence maybe).

Here is a list of my Hardware components:

- AMD Phenom x4 965 Processor

- 3x2GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 TR3X6G1333C7

- GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 1GB, 40nm, 3348MHz GDDR5

- Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

- ASUS M4N98TD EVO Motherboard

- Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Case

- Samsung 1TB SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm

- XFX Black Edition Single Rail Modular Power Supply

- Standard DVD drive

I only have a USB keyboard.
I'm using a HDTV as a monitor.

The problem..
When I turn on my computer It'll stick on the mobo menu screen.
It'll show the F8 DEL Alt F2 options and anyone I press it won't do. If i press DEL to go to bios, it'll say entering setup and not do anything.
I've reset the CMOS/RTC, nothing. Taken the battery out, waited 30 mins, reset CMOS/RTC, nothing. Done every combination possible with the RAM, nothing.
Repeated above steps many times, nothing.
My mobo has a function called MemOK. I've tried it countless times to no avail.

I don't have any spare RAM or any other component.

Once or twice I got lucky and if I kept the computer off/unplugged from the wall long enough, it worked. But that's not happening now.

I'm not a moron with computers, but I'm not a genious.

My friend told me that my RAM might be the problem.

Any help please???

Can anybody tell me if there is a compatibility issue with anything in my rig?

I will be eternally gratefull!!

Caeden

*edit* I have got the newest bios installed on the computer, not sure if the problems happened due to that. Might need to flash bios (not sure how to do that though)

Edited by Caeden, 31 August 2010 - 01:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Did you install the chip set drivers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

I would have replaced the CMOS battery...it's a less than $5 item here and a weak one can gum up your system.

Louis

#4 Caeden

Caeden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

Did you install the chip set drivers?

Yes they're all installed.

#5 Caeden

Caeden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

Last night I took the RAM out of the computer, left it off and unplugged for 24 hours, installed the RAM again and now it's on.

I know that if I turn it off, in the next few days it'll do the same.

Is there anything I can do while it's on to help you find whats wrong with it?

#6 Caeden

Caeden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

I put it in sleep mode left it for a bit. When I returned and clicked the mouse button to wake it up, all the fans including the cpu and gpu fans turned on with some usb devices. But It wouldn't come back on.

Is this a RAM problem?

Edited by Caeden, 31 August 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

I seen where you asked above about flashing the BIOS EPROM chip.

You stated you have the latest BIOS installed, I am curious how you have the latest BIOS installed if you're also asking how to flash the BIOS EPROM?

If you need information regarding how to update the BIOS EPROM, I will point you to a web site that explains the procedure involved.

http://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Computer's-BIOS

You must follow the rules of BIOS flashing closely, failure to do so, can render your motherboard permanently un-bootable if the flash procedure fails for any reason!

It is highly recommended that you save your original BIOS firmware to a disk, before any attempt is made to over-write the original BIOS firmware with a different version!

Do not cycle off the computer until you are absolutely positive, the flash has completed and that the flash was successful, failure to do this, can cause your computer not to start up and any efforts to successfully recover from a bad flash will be lost!

So please keep in mind, there are risks involved when updating the BIOS firmware.

If the BIOS flash fails for any reason, this could mean replacing the BIOS EPROM chip. Some motherboards have the chip in a socket, these are easy to replace. However some have the chip soldered to the motherboard, these are the hardest to replace, in some cases, the motherboard has to be replaced, because the cost of repair, often out-weighs the cost of a new motherboard.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:41 AM

Is this a RAM problem?

If you want to check your RAM, you can use memtest, this program is to be burned to a bootable cdrom.

When you boot your computer, it should load memtest from the cdrom and by-pass your normal boot procedure.

Memtest86 4.00 http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

Keep in mind your video card can also cause problems like this to happen as well.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 Caeden

Caeden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hi MrBruce,

Thanks for your reply, do you mean my exact graphics card, or just graphics cards in general?

Also, I've recently found out, the RAM I am using should be used in an i7 computer, I'm running an AMD, could this cause the issues I am having?

A guy in this thread said

RAM that's optimized for the Intel Core i5/i7 has XMP profile(s) programmed into the SPD. On the other hand, RAM that's optimized for the AMD Phenom II has BEMP profile(s) programmed into the SPD. Not all XMP-enabled memory supports BEMP (however, for example, the CMG4GX3M2A1600C6 kit is one of the few XMP-enabled Corsair memory kits which also support BEMP, and thus can be used on either an i5/i7 platform or a Phenom II platform). The current 16GB quad-module kit from Corsair has only XMP profiles - and no BEMP profiles. If that 16GB kit were used on an AMD Phenom platform, that memory would only work up to DDR3-1066 (the maximum officially supported memory speed with eight ranks on AMD memory controllers).

Edited by Caeden, 01 September 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

Try running only 2 sticks of RAM in the correct slots. That system either needs 2 sticks of RAM or 4 sticks. The 3 stick kits are for i7 9XX/X58 Intel boards, but in a perfect world it should work on yours.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 Caeden

Caeden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

Hi dpunisher,
I'm using only 2 sticks. In this configuration I get a hit and miss chance of being able to boot properly.

Going to buy some new RAM and see if that fixes it.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

Please keep us informed how the new RAM works out when you get it.

I'd be interested in knowing if this type of RAM you have now was the issue or if perhaps maybe one stick has a bad chip on it causing the whole stick to act up intermittently.

Bruce.

#13 Caeden

Caeden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Just a brief update, I was minding my own buisness browsing the net, and then my display went off. Everything on the inside of the machine was still on, but I wasn't getting any signal on my screen.

My GPU isn't on the blink is it?

Edited by Caeden, 01 September 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

Sorry to hear this, now it's sounding like a video card issue, which I stated earlier.

Does a restart bring back the video again?

You might want to browse around the BIOS menus a bit and check for any incorrect settings, or if you prefer, try setting fail-safe defaults.

Every BIOS set up utility has a default settings that runs the motherboard at a safe level, it is however worded differently in different BIOS menu setups.

Also make sure your BIOS has the option for PLUG AND PLAY OS INSTALLED set as YES.

Since Windows is a plug and play OS, this option should be set to YES, this allows Windows to take full control of hardware memory addresses and IRQ number allocations.

The next concern we have is if your PSU is supplying enough amperage output for the power demand that is being placed on it.

Bruce.

#15 Caeden

Caeden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply Bruce,
I turned the computer off, unplugged it from the wall. I took the GPU out of the computer and reseated it. Plugged everything in and it came back on. But now I have the same issue as before, I can't get into BIOS, or past POST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users