Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Modem Errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drewgraham

drewgraham

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

Hey all,

I've got a computer to fix that won't connect to the 'net. To start at the beginning:

A few days after a lightning storm it started to get a 678 (There is no answer from the remote computer) when trying to connect to the net, when I arrived some kid had already been to fix it, but failed (he put a new modem in, without any driver, charged them 50 and bu**ered off).

I plugged in my verbose modem and played with the connection settings and played, and listened, and it seemed to be connecting after some bizarre routing and switching. It produced a range of 721 (Remote PPP peer is not responding), 629 (The port was disconnected by the remote machine) and 732 (The PPP negotiation is not converging / Could not agree a PPP protocol) errors whilst playing with the settings. At best I got an unstable 4Kbps connection.

Turns out it's connected through a DACS box.

So, I presumed the DACS box had been struck by lightning, not the modem, and British Telecon had reconfigured the DACS box and knackered the phone line for modem use. We got BT to connect the line direct to the exchange without the DACS box, thinking that'd solve the problem.

But it didn't. I try now and I get a 680 (No dial tone), even though I can make calls from the same plug.

So, maybe the new modem is knackered (I'm going to replace it and see). Maybe I need to re-install DUNS. Can someone throw me some other bones and diagnostic ideas please?

Thanks,

Drew

Edited by drewgraham, 04 November 2005 - 08:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

If you want to get a response you will need to be more specific with these errors. Not many people will be as familiar with them as you and won't look them up.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 drewgraham

drewgraham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:29 PM

If you want to get a response you will need to be more specific with these errors. Not many people will be as familiar with them as you and won't look them up.

Sorry. Edited.

:thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:51 AM

I would start from the modem and work toward the computer switching out parts to eliminate them. Having said that, I think the phone company needs to check their equipment. Its more likely on their side.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

'No dial tone' is pretty basic - if you plug a phone in the the wall outlet and you can hear dial-tone then it must be a modem or cable problem. Bring back your known working modem and a fresh cable and see where you go from there.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:41 AM

Is this a type of ADSL or SDSL? Or is it Dialup ISDN line? Is it just a plain old 56k dialup modem?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users