Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some what new computer crashes randomly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 darkknite

darkknite

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

So about a month ago, I got a new computer. After around 3 weeks into using it, it didn't turn on properly. What I mean by this is that I can see the tower case light turn on and what not, but the mouse, keyboard and monitor act as if the computer was off (mouse has no light, num lock light on the keyboard isn't on and monitor says no signal).

The only way I managed to fix this was replugging the blue and white cable that connects to the monitor, along with the power supply of the computer off of the tower case. Only then, I managed to boot up the computer normally. Ever since, the same problem happens and I fix it the same way as before, but sometimes, it takes a couple of tries.

Also, along with the computer not turning on completely, I also get these random crashes. By crashes I mean the whole computer freezes up and whatever sounds that were playing turns into just a long “beep” or “buzz” depending on what sound or how you think of it. The screen also becomes something sort of like static that you see on a bad TV channel but in the colours that were present on the monitor and the static is not moving at all. It would stay like that for quite a while or until I reboot the computer by pressing the power button. When I start it up again, it might not start up completely (as stated in the first paragraph).

I have also experienced a different kind of freeze but not as frequent as the one before. This time, the computer just freezes as if time was stopped. Sometimes, the computer would just reboot by itself and sometimes it won’t. If it did reboot itself, the problem with the computer not turning on completely might happen (as seen on the first paragraph).

With all these crashes, an error might pop up when I turn the computer back on, but it doesn’t happen all the time. I would click the “check for solutions” button, hopping there will be a solution but after a while, the window just closes itself.

The most recent crash turned into a blue screen (the one with “A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage...”) Me with my limited computer skills, I know a blue screen might mean something is seriously wrong with my computer so I gave up hoping the problem will fix itself and came to this forum for help. I’m not sure if I should post the error log from the blue screen that I have managed to save since I don’t know what that can do as of right now.

You might be wondering why I wrote about the freezing part first for this thread. The truth is, the the problems that I was/am experiencing are in a somewhat chronological order of what happened first, so that is why the title may seem misleading at first.

I also want to fix this problem before it happens more often because I am pretty sure re plugging the cables on the back of the computer isn't good for the connectors on the computer or the cables itself.

Anyways, your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by darkknite, 30 August 2010 - 09:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

If this is a new computer then return it.

#3 darkknite

darkknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Well it's sort of too late for that. The return policy states that I can only return/exchange the product after 14 days. Obviously, it is over 14 days when the problems occurred (3 weeks after I bought it)

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

What kind of computer, and where did you buy it?

#5 darkknite

darkknite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

It's a Gateway DX4840 series desktop

Processor: Intel i5 650 @ 3.20 GHz
Ram: 6GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5570
Memory 1TBG
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

(information gotten from Windows Experience Index)

I got this computer at Future Shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users