Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router/Modem help- Game connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 meetyouinitaly

meetyouinitaly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hi everyone
For quite awhile now I have been having trouble connecting to any kind of online game that connects me to any other players. I can play single player flash games etc, but nothing that connects with other players, from games on Pogo.com to World of Warcraft to counterstrike. At first I thought it was because of a router port forwarding issue, but I have forwarded the necissary ports for the games I am trying to play.

The problem started with the purchase of a router/modem combo, (A Motorola Surfboard sb900) so my first thought is that I just don't understand the built in firewall enough to open the ports. The only thing that makes me question that theory is the fact that games on Pogo won't connect either. I have never had problems with browser based multiplayer games before the router switch, and have had to open ports on previous routers in order to play games like WoW and Counterstrike.

Any ideas?

-myii

Edited by meetyouinitaly, 31 August 2010 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

Check out the user manual for more information but it appears you need to set up port triggering for the incoming connections from the game servers as well as port forwarding.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 meetyouinitaly

meetyouinitaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

Port Triggering? O_o Whats that? Would it be the same ports that need "Triggering" as the ones that need forwarding? Im not very tech savvy, so I don't really know the difference...

#4 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:33 AM

The difference :

Port forwarding - Opens port "Only" for the specified IP address.
Port Triggering - Opens port for all.
DMZ - Opens all ports for a specific IP address.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users