Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloading adware!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lnkdes

lnkdes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:33 PM

Sorry for the screw up!!!!

I have never downloaded any spyware before so i am kind of hesitant!!!!

I have read the tutorial on how to properly download it but am afraid it will cause some harm to my programs. Are there common things that go wrong after the download?

hope someone has some insight.

Thx[COLOR=blue][B][I]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:45 PM

I think you have been mislead or just misunderstood. Adaware is not spyware. It's a spyware detector program. I have had it a long time and it cannot possibly harm your computer. It's a wonderful free service that's invaluable. No common problems after downloading this program either. Do the download, install, and immediately check for any updates (you need to be online to do that) and continue to check for updates (as with all of your detecting programs) weekly or bi-weekly. I promise you that it's wonderful. Post back with any concerns you may have.

~67~

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:47 AM

Make sure you download the latest version of Ad-Aware (the hypen is important)SE Personal firewall, from the Lavasoft site( or one of the mirror sites from their pages). You will find the HELP section of the application extremely useful, especially those discussing the first time use of the program.
Once caveat: Ad-Aware may define SOME cookies as spyware that are essential to using certain pages, and some other items that, if deleted, may interfere with using an application. Be sure carefully to review the items candidated, especially the first time, before electing to delete them. Fortunately, Ad-Aware creates a "back up" file in case you have to restore them.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2004 - 01:41 AM

This should be a direct link. Ad-Aware SE Personal
Posted Image

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:08 AM

You should use these basic programs?
aČ free
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard

If not, you should really consider it. These programs, updated and
used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans,
keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do serious damage if not used properly.

Edited by tg1911, 10 October 2004 - 09:09 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users