Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Specified Module Not Found 8007007e Wmp For Xp

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 coffeemom

coffeemom

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:09 PM

literate...I tried downloading WMP 10 and still get the same answer...

a little sign comes up and says specified module not found error 8007007E. I need help because I can't listen to anything on the computer.!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:19 PM

According to Microsoft

"Windows Media Player relies on separate software components to perform various functions (for example, to play DVDs, it requires that separate DVD-decoder software be installed, and to burn CDs, the current drivers for your CD burner must be installed). This error tells you that the Player is trying access a module (a .dll file) for one of these components, and it's either not registered, damaged, or missing. Because it can be difficult to identify the exact component that is causing the error, we recommend that you contact a Microsoft technical support professional to help you correct the problem. To contact a support professional, see the Microsoft Help and Support Web page."

Before contacting Microsoft you might try reinstalling your dvd codec, that seems like it might solve the problem.

#3 coffeemom

coffeemom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:34 PM

Thanks I'll try the dvd codec...do you know how to do that? Cause I am totally computer stupid...

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 05:47 PM

What operating system are you trying to load WMP10 on?

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

Is this a computer that someone put together for you or from a manufacturer?

The programs for coding and decoding dvds are not included in Windows Media Player. Don't ask I think much of it has to do with the motion picture industry trying to keep a tight rein on dvd movies.

Generally with a computer from a manufacturer they will include a dvd player that can run on its own or be used by WMP to decode movies.

You can download some free or very cheap dvd codecs (coder/decoder) on the Internet, or go to the store brick or online and spend $30-$90, depending on how fancy you want to get, for a software package.

InterVideo, which I have, offers a number of programs, but there are other companies as well. I do know that InterVideo offers free trial downloads, though I don't know how much functionality they have.

The error message you are getting seems to be based on the DVD codecs, so I would try downloading a trial version of a dvd player from http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp and see if that solves your problem.

#6 coffeemom

coffeemom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have xp professional. It started when I deleted some music that I had downloaded. It seems to have taken the sound with it. Now I can use nero and quick time, but not windows media player....
It was computer bought from a computer store. I had a dvd r/rw put in about 6-8 months ago, but there hasn't been any problems with it until I deleted the music downloads..

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:05 PM

I'm a bit vague on these player/codec issues but franktiii is correct you have to 'buy' a codec to play DVDs - and you usually do because one will be included in the software you get when you buy a DVDplayer package (unless you buy an OEM pack, then you just get the DVD drive).
So did you get a CD with your DVD R/RW? If so insert it and when the menu comes up look for something like PowerDVD or InterVideo and try to re-install it. (You may have to uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs first.)

I wouldn't bother downloading the trial players because they usually only play for 3 mins then put up a "Why not buy XYZ?" splash screen. Just mho.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:25 AM

Are you trying to play cds or dvds?

Identifying the installed decoder
If you are not sure which decoder is installed on your computer, install the Windows XP DVD Decoder Checkup Utility from the Microsoft Download Center. You can use this utility to:
Identify the MPEG-2 decoders that are installed on your computer.
Identify whether the decoders are compatible with Windows Media Player 10.
Choose which installed decoder you want Windows Media Player 10 to use when synchronizing DVR-MS files to a portable device.

In some cases, the utility will suggest a Web site where an updated decoder might be available.

If the program indicates that you do not have an MPEG-2 decoder installed, consider purchasing one from one of the vendors listed previously.

If the utility indicates that your decoder is not compatible with Windows Media Player 10 and the program does not suggest a Web site where an updated decoder might be available, do one of the following:
If your computer came with a DVD drive preinstalled, contact your computer manufacturer about how to upgrade to an MPEG-2 decoder that supports Windows Media Player 10.
If you installed a DVD drive in your existing computer, contact the DVD drive manufacturer about how to upgrade to an MPEG-2 decoder that supports Windows Media Player 10.
If you installed a DVD decoder from one of the companies listed on the MP3 Creation Packs and DVD Decoders for Windows XP page, contact the company about how to upgrade to an MPEG-2 decoder that supports Windows Media Player 10.

For more information about this error message, in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, see article 884841, "Error message when you try to synchronize video files in Windows Media Player 10."
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...rors.aspx#index

What dvd burner do you have?

If you do not know, download Everest Home which is a freeware diagnostic program that will tell you.

Download it from here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

Once you know, go to support on the DVD burner manufacturer's site and see if the software you need is available there.

#9 coffeemom

coffeemom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

I wasn't trying to play a dvd or cd. Even when I open my e-mail and try to play something that requires a video or sound the error message comes up. I can't do anything that requires the use of wmp. I may just have to take it back to the computer shop and see if they can correct my mistake.....You guys have been really helpful though. I will try the things that you have suggested before taking the computer in.

#10 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 04:31 PM

Again going back to the error message, Microsoft says it relates to not having a dvd codec. It might be that somehow when you deleted a file related to the codec by accident, though that is hard to do.

It is a little odd that it gives you this message before trying to actually play a dvd. So one question comes to mind have you scanned for viruses and malware lately? If you haven't we can suggest several free programs to get you started.

If your computer is clean then try reinstalling the dvd program that should have come with it. There is probably a disk with all the stuff that came with the computer.

#11 coffeemom

coffeemom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:41 PM

I got 2 discs that say they are for DVD's....

sonic my DVD from open dvd and power DVD xp. from cyberlink...

it doesn't give the message before trying to play the dvd. you know when you open an attached file in your e-mail and it goes to the media player to show you the movie? There is nothing...it just says connecting--and then the error message comes up..

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:45 PM

Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall PowerDVD. Then re-install it from the CD.
See if that makes a difference.

The files which are attached to your email - what file extension do they have? (the xxx bit in "filename.xxx")
Have you tried saving the attachments to a folder on your hard drive and then viewing them?
You could view the saved attachments with another program just as a workaround, but of course it would be better to fix the problem.
Irfanview is a free graphic viewer for personal use, which can view and edit images and playback video. Download it from here.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#13 coffeemom

coffeemom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:29 PM

The computer says I need to reinstall QUARTZ.DLL but I don't know how.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:44 PM

Try this http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?quartz
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#15 coffeemom

coffeemom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

I downloaded quartz.dll and it still isn't recognizing that it exsists....UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do i do now guys????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users