Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about the motivation of malware volunteer team

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Thomsieboms

Thomsieboms

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

Hello everyone,

i'm new to Bleeping computer and i learned that you guys have a team of skilled people who help people out with viruses, malware etc. ontheir computer, on a voluntary basis. Now don't get me wrong, i highly appreciate this kind of help and take my hat of and bow deeply to the people who put in their time and sweat drops to help a troubled computer user whose machine has been taken over by the dark side ;-)
I couldn't help but wonder what the reward is for those helpers.
-do they try to gain experience in removing nasty stuff?
-are they working for antivirus companies and aim to learn as much as possible from latest threats?
-are they simply crazy about computer technique and devote their spare time to deal with this as a hobby?
-is it just to help your fellow man and feel good about it? (nothing against this one ^_^ )

I am posing this questions, because it seems to me that a higly technical skill is involved and their are heaps of requests, so actually maybe people could make a living out of this in working for an antivirus company?

Any thoughts on this?
But finally, let me stress that i really find it a good cause that people are helping others out this way and i support and applaud that.

Cheers,
Thom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

From my perspective and having seen this asked and answered over the years, I've come to the conclusion that all the above and many more yet unknown, apply to our team. The reasons are as varied as the team.

One may do it because they love a complex challenge. Another may do it to 'pay it forward' (Thats a common reply). Yet another may do it for reasons only they know. With the diversity of the team the list of reasons why will be long and varied.

Suffice it to say we are eternally grateful for their help and expertise no matter what the motivation is.

But I will add that Bleeping Computer does not pay any of it's staff for their participation or help supplied. So a fat paycheck is not one of the answers you'll see. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

One of the topics, where this was discussed:
General questions about the BC community...?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users