Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome not connecting on any of my machines

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tindoz

tindoz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

I have 5 machines: 1 desktop (wireless connection - win7), 4 laptops (2 wireless win7, one wired XP, and one mac laptop).

Last night, I went to bed and everything worked fine. This morning, google chrome won't connect to any website on any of my Windows machines (though firefox does - and chrome works on the mac). I've read all over the net that to fix this I have to change the proxy LAN settings and to uncheck the "Use a proxy server" option - but that isn't checked on any of the 4 Windows machines and I'm still having the problem.

I've reinstalled chrome - to no avail. I tried a portable version of chrome that's on my thumbdrive that I used on one of my university's computers mid-morning today (and it worked fine there), but it doesn't work on any of the 4 machines.

Most of these machines have almost no software on them with most programs being run portably off a thumbdrive, but one of the laptops (from a friend visiting since last Thursday - he's been online the whole time he's been here, but now chrome doesn't work for him either) is a bestbuy special with all sorts of installed software (skype, a Norton free trial thing or something, and who knows what else he's got on there).

Since it all worked last night just fine, my only thought is that maybe his machine (when he didn't turn it off at night - also his is the newest machine to the network, so naturally I suspect it because things have worked fine for months and months and the only thing different is he's on the network) somehow connected to the router and screwed things up - is that possible? Maybe Skype or some other program changed some hidden proxy for all chrome traffic leaving the router - is that possible?

Any help would be great!

UPDATE: I did a hard reset and now my wired xp laptop can get chrome, but my wireless laptops won't

UPDATE UPDATE: Now, 10 min later, not even the wired one can get chrome to work

Edited by tindoz, 30 August 2010 - 07:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tindoz

tindoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

Ok, to make this even stranger.

The Mac laptop is able to run chrome on it. However, when running a Win7 virtual machine through vmware on the mac, chrome won't connect. So, to sum this aspect of the issue up, chrome works on the mac, but not on the mac when run in a windows virtual machine.

Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users