Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble booting in normal mode after removal of Security Suite Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Murphy7

Murphy7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

I am using Windows XP Professional operating system on my computer and last night i had the pleasure of getting attacked by the "Security Suite" rogue virus that i actually came to BleepingComputer to get help with removal for. I followed the steps on this link

Bleeping Computer Security Suite Removal Steps

in an attempt to remove said malware from my computer (but i also used some other programs that were already on my computer for malware removal) and after all the scans and deletions. I can't get out of safe mode to check and see if it actually killed the virus. Whenever i try to boot normally the computer goes to the Windows XP loading screen (the one with the little bar that shows it loading with the logo) before the screen that says "windows is starting up" or whatever. The "windows is starting" screen is blue, the loading screen is all black except the windows xp logo.

While it is still on the black screen (loading screen) it freezes, and restarts the computer, says that booting was not successful and gives me the option to try again in normal mode, or the safe mode options.

After failure it also gives me the option to revert to the last booting that was successful (would this take me back to safe mode since that is what ive been using? or would it restore settings to before i did all the virus scans and give me the virus infected computer again?)

I am in safe mode right now. i can give you the names of the programs that i have used to scan the computer and get rid of Security Suite.

-CCleaner
-Rkill.com
-MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Free Edition
-SuperAnti-Spyware Free Edition
-A-Sqaured Free

I have no firewalls running, and no antivirus software enabled on my computer, this was pretty much bound to happen but i am wondering if the virus was attached to a detrimental file on my computer that one of these programs had to destroy to eradicate the virus and now my operating system is screwed up. I also do not have my system restore disk, as ive had the computer for ages and have no idea where the software disks that came with it went to. So its either an online fix, a computer restoration at a local computer shop, or installing an updated operating system i.e. vista or 7.

Any help is much appreciated and i will be paying attention to this topic as my computer is on the verge of worthless without normal mode. Thanks in advance.

-Murphy

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2010 - 05:36 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Have you tried running chkdsk /r from safe mode?

You followed the instructions...in the BC Removal Guide...explicitly and fully?

Louis

#3 Murphy7

Murphy7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

I followed all the steps in the guide to the best of my abilities, and to your first question. Im really not sure what that means, could you explain? It may be something simple that im overlooking or an easy fix for someone who knows more about what they are doing.

#4 Murphy7

Murphy7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

Can anyone help me with this? i would really like to get my computer back in shape :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users