Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Problems...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reddrose

reddrose

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:13 PM

Hi! This is my first post...

Mmm. I have a problem! I am running Windows XP, and my ISP is Peoplepc.

Within the last week, whenever I attempt to access the internet, I get the usual message letting me know Peoplepc is connecting. Then, the little box comes in the corner confirming I am online. But, when I try to actually acess a page, it it just continues to load forever. I get nowhere!

Also, when I try to check my e-mail, I get "timed out". (Although, strangle enough, I can send mail. I checked this by sending mail to my other account, which I checked on a friends' computer. By the way, I'm typing this message on a library computer. :thumbsup:)

All indications (other than the ability to send mail) are that I am not connected to the internet, although when I pick up my phone, I hear the noises of a computer connection. (Is there a technical term for that noise? Just curious. :flowers:)

I would be happy to supply any other information you need: give me a day or two, as I'll have to return to the library... :trumpet:

Please, please grace me with your technological genius! (But talk easy, I'm no wizard. :inlove:)

Thank you!

P.S.
I almost forgot! If it helps, I have Norton, and, yes, I have scanned. I also have Ad-aware, and, agian, have scanned. My father is convinced I have a virus and I have to kill off my computer and start anew....but he always says that. :cool:

Edited by reddrose, 04 November 2005 - 03:16 PM.

Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:40 PM

Have you contacted your ISP?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 reddrose

reddrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:45 PM

Not as of yet...I just wanted to check here to make sure I'm not making some kind of very basic mistake I can check myself...I hate calling help centers, heh.
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:23 PM

If you can send an email you certainly have a connection.

Have you got a firewall aside from the Windows XP one? If so which one? Try disabling it temporarily to see if this changes anything.

When you are dialed up -
click on Start>Run and type cmd
in the black and white window that opens type ping 127.0.0.1 enter
Have a look at the 'Ping statistics' any packets lost?
Then do the same thing only typing ping www.google.com enter
What does it say?

When at the library computer you can have a look at your ISPs website and see if there are any problems they will admit to. (unlikey though :thumbsup: )

:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 reddrose

reddrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

...eh..heh, heh. :thumbsup: I finally called my ISP tech help. I'm back online! She had me go through a bunch of options (I.E. "okay, now uncheck this box, check that one").

The new thing is, one of the things had had me do is turn off my Norton internet security. I've heard that Norton can be a problem before, but is there any way I can keep it on without it disrupting my internet experience?

My Norton is going to expire shortly anyway, so if I have to, this would be a perfect time to switch to another program. Or should I get the newest Norton?

Blech, too many options. All I want is internet without (major) problems! Oh, well. I'll settle for mediocre. :flowers:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:17 AM

I can't help you with Norton, but I can help you when you are thru with them :thumbsup: Try one of the free antivirus listed below. I also included several other softwares you may find useful...

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home (hardware and software information)
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes
Firewall Security Test

Firewalls
Zone Alarm
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free

Best of all...they are free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:53 AM

All I want is internet without (major) problems! Oh, well. I'll settle for mediocre. :thumbsup:

Sorry reddrose, but those days are long gone.
The list of people, that are trying to infect your computer, just keeps getting longer and longer, every day.
That's why it's so important these days, to keep your Antivirus/Spyware programs updated, and to scan with them on a regular basis.
I suggest you use all of the Antispyware programs acklan recommended.

In addition to those, I also recommend:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard
These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place.

Useful Tutorials:
Using Spybot S&D
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido

The suggested programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

In addition to these tools, it's a good idea to occasionally (every 2-3 weeks) scan your computer with these online scans, just to make sure:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:02 PM

The good news is after you install the recommend software it for the most part is fire and forget. ;)
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users