Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE cannot display webpage, same with FF

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 watz

watz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

I fell asleep with my pc on and when I woke up it would not load any webpages.(seriously, I can't beleive it)
My network consists of a belkin 4 port wireless router connected to RR cable modem.
No indications of a virus or attack of any kind but I know that don't mean squat.
Machine affected is running xp media center version2002 sp3.
I ran vipre av, complete scan found nothing.
I have also ran Superantispyware(complete scan) and MBAM, both detected zilch, nothing.
I have added Firefox and that will not load a webpage, it says server not found.
I can ping the router and get a reply but neither browser will load the webpage when I enter the IP address.
I can ping yahoo ip address and get a reply but if I do a tracert of www.yahoo.com it is unable to resolve target system name.
I have three wireless pc's on the same network working fine.
I unplugged both the router and the cable modem and then plugged the modem back in first and waited until it was ready the plugged the router back in, I have also pressed the reset on the back of the router all to no avail.
I completely shut down Vipre av/firewall, (windows firewall is off)no change.
I tried to restore to a previous time(2 weeks ago) no change.(undid the restore)
I tried a wireless usb network adapter, no change. The (Belkin)utility that came with this shows connectivity to the router but no connection to the internet.
I ran net diagnostics in system information tools checked all options and everything passed.
In Internet Explorer, internet options, connections tab, lan settings all boxes are unchecked. (tried it with automatically detect settings and that made no difference.
I tried it in safe mode with networking, still would not connect.
I hope I didn't forget anything,
Thanks
Watz

Also, I tried plugging my pc directly into the cable modem and it still wouldn't load a webpage with IE or FF. At the command prompt I did an ipconfig and the ip addresses looked like a typical set of addresses you get when plugged directly into the modem.

Edited by watz, 31 August 2010 - 09:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 watz

watz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

Just to add a little more info. When I right click on local area connection then click on repair, I get a message that says "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing you IP address" . When I plug it directly into the cable modem(instead of the belkin router) and repair the connection it appears to do it but IE and FF still wont load webpages. When connected the cable after the repair ipconfig shows a RR IP address.

#3 Driesiooo

Driesiooo

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

1. Shut down your computer.
2. Reset your router.
3. Reset your modem by plugging of the power supply.
4. Put your modem back into power supply.
5. Restart your computer.

If that doesn't work:

Go to Start Run enter cmd, now a MS Dos prompt will open and enter the follwing:
ipconfig /release
Then enter
ipconfig /renew

And restart your computer.

Edited by Driesiooo, 04 September 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#4 watz

watz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:58 PM

Ok, I previously tried that, but just for the hell of it I tried it and again nothing has changed. My gut feeling is there is a hardware problem and not an infection but I just don't know for sure how two different network adapters can have the same performance unless it's actually the cpu that is toast. Or some ic between the cpu and the network adapters that is bad. Thanks for your input.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:07 PM

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.

Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.

Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.

Now check if the internet is working again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 watz

watz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

Ok, when I got to the lan settings box everything including use proxy was already unchecked. Thanks!

#7 watz

watz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

Problem solved! I deleted Vipre/sunbelt firewall through add/remove programs and that fixed my problem. I don't understand why because the Sunbelt firewall was shutdown while I trying to fix the issue. I have everything back, updated and working so hopefully I'm all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users