My network consists of a belkin 4 port wireless router connected to RR cable modem.
No indications of a virus or attack of any kind but I know that don't mean squat.
Machine affected is running xp media center version2002 sp3.
I ran vipre av, complete scan found nothing.
I have also ran Superantispyware(complete scan) and MBAM, both detected zilch, nothing.
I have added Firefox and that will not load a webpage, it says server not found.
I can ping the router and get a reply but neither browser will load the webpage when I enter the IP address.
I can ping yahoo ip address and get a reply but if I do a tracert of www.yahoo.com it is unable to resolve target system name.
I have three wireless pc's on the same network working fine.
I unplugged both the router and the cable modem and then plugged the modem back in first and waited until it was ready the plugged the router back in, I have also pressed the reset on the back of the router all to no avail.
I completely shut down Vipre av/firewall, (windows firewall is off)no change.
I tried to restore to a previous time(2 weeks ago) no change.(undid the restore)
I tried a wireless usb network adapter, no change. The (Belkin)utility that came with this shows connectivity to the router but no connection to the internet.
I ran net diagnostics in system information tools checked all options and everything passed.
In Internet Explorer, internet options, connections tab, lan settings all boxes are unchecked. (tried it with automatically detect settings and that made no difference.
I tried it in safe mode with networking, still would not connect.
I hope I didn't forget anything,
Also, I tried plugging my pc directly into the cable modem and it still wouldn't load a webpage with IE or FF. At the command prompt I did an ipconfig and the ip addresses looked like a typical set of addresses you get when plugged directly into the modem.
Edited by watz, 31 August 2010 - 09:38 AM.