Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help setting up a VPN in Ubuntu 10.04

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

OK, maybe i should try and explain what I am trying to do. :thumbsup: I have legally bought DVD's that I have placed on my PC for watching. I have homework for college on my PC. I go to visit my dad 100 miles away or go on the road with my uncle who is a truck driver and I want to access my computer from anywhere and get to my files, music, and movies. The other part (which is true) is I want a safer way to download a few TV shows that I like to watch such as Top Gear, Mythbusters, etc. I am reading and looking in to a VPN and thinking that this might be what I need compared to something like Tor. However I do not see any free VPN services out there and many of them are geared for Windows and want you to install software, etc. I have openVPN installed, so now what do I do next? There are many paid VPN sites out there, but which ones are worth the money? Are there any quality free VPNs out there that do not limit time, speed, or data usage?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 THE LEGEND x7x

THE LEGEND x7x

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Hmm.. For the first part, you are looking for a Remote Access program. This kind of program will let you access your home computer from any other computer as long as they are both connected to the internet. I don't have much knowledge about them, but I believe a quick google search will give you some insight. As well, there is many free remote access programs available.

As for the second part, I'm not completely clear about what you're asking... and personally, I'm not very fimiliar with VPN's.. Hopefully somebody else can help you out with this part..
Cheers.
-THE LEGEND x7x

#3 maladmin

maladmin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'm not sure how a VPN will make it safer for you to download TV shows etc, I've tried a few (paid) services in order to get an english ip address, however none of these offered anonymous service. I see however that anonymous services do exist, however you are taking it on trust that they are truly anonymous. I very much doubt if there are any worthwhile free ones, bandwidth costs. Connecting to a VPN with linux is easy, most VPN servers use the PPTP protocol so you just need to provide the server address and authentication information. Take a look here for configuring the pptp client http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users