Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swaz_g

swaz_g

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

I've had a browse through the older topics but I can't quite find one that fits my problem.
Ok, so I have a legit copy of Office 2000 Small Business & I have the matching key. The problem is that the disc is slightly damaged & sends a CRC error message.
Want to know how I have come to need to reinstall the program? Well I've been using Office 2000 for years (about 10 years actually ;) & I like it. It does what I want it to do & I have no need to pay $$$$ to have the latest version. However, once a year I have to produce a Powerpoint document (for an awards presentation) so I toddle off to MS & download a trial version that has Powerpoint (Office Small Business doesn't have PP). Every year this works for the once off that I need it for. BUT this year something went wrong! I downloaded Office 2010 trial from MS but it somehow copied over my 2000 version & it's GONE!
I have now uninstalled the 2010 version & am desperately trying to reinstall 2000 but the slightly damaged disc is making this impossible.
My search for advice has lead me to run a file recover program to see if I can track down the missing old one or repair the files on the disc. Wow, I didn't know there were so many files to be recovered.
Is there anyone out there that may have a simpler solution to this? The documents to be dealt with are piling up on my desk. I'm temporarily using Open Office but because the MS files don't talk to OO very well, this is proving rather time consuming as may of the documents I deal with are ones that are constantly edited & all my templates.... Woe is me :thumbsup:
p.s. I had given the disc a clean with some toothpaste.

Edited by swaz_g, 30 August 2010 - 09:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

Have you tried a scratch repair kit yet?

I have an old copy of Print Master that I use often and it was pretty scratched since it is over 10 years old.
I used a scratch repair kit to get out as many scratches as I can. Then I made a copy of the cd which works fine.
You might want to try that
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 swaz_g

swaz_g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hi Eyesee,
I haven't yet. I'll have to buy one & try it. Got to be cheaper that being forced to upgrade tho. The disc isn't in that bad a shape but I think their might be a tiny scratch on the silver side. I've heard that when that happens, it's unfixable.

#4 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:24 AM

Once you clean up the disk as best you can, try using copy software like Alcohol 120% or similar.

Might help in this case you since it is meant to handle disks that sometimes have intentional bad sectors, which can generate CRC errors.
Alcohol 120% and others can either skip bad sectors or read them at a slower speed to get the data.

Hope it helps!

#5 Eddi81

Eddi81

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:39 AM

Hi Eyesee,
I haven't yet. I'll have to buy one & try it. Got to be cheaper that being forced to upgrade tho. The disc isn't in that bad a shape but I think their might be a tiny scratch on the silver side. I've heard that when that happens, it's unfixable.

I never meet the problem like you.But this info seems a good method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users