Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Stand By" No Longer Works

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bgorrah

bgorrah

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

Rather than letting PC run and/or turning it off completely (while I read the paper or eat lunch) I have always put it in "Stand By" (Start, Turn Off Computer, Stand By) Lately this option no longer works. Could someone help me solve this problem?
Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

Do you get any error messages when you try Stand By?

#3 James Miller

James Miller

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

I had this it was a problem with my video/display card check that its all working.

#4 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

Do you get any error messages when you try Stand By?

No, the Monitor Screen is pitch black.

I should mention that the PC is On because the little green light on the Tower is On.

Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

#5 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

I had this it was a problem with my video/display card check that its all working.

I am not computer savvy and do not know what a video/display card is so am unable to check to see if it is working.
Posted Image

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

Can you perform the following: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#7 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xLx6dvCESXoPIYF6XUEBI0e
Posted Image

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResu...amp;FamilyId=40 Download the drivers there and see if that fixes your issue.

#9 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResu...amp;FamilyId=40 Download the drivers there and see if that fixes your issue.

That site is way to confusing for me. I have no idea where to start. I am not computer savvy and don't understand computer language so am afraid I will do the wrong thing and really screw up my PC. Thank you for your help but from now on I am just going to shut down my PC and forget about using "Stand By."
Posted Image

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

You select Windows XP Professional 32bit then you select Drivers scroll down to the very bottom and download the most recent. YOu do not have to be a Computer Technician to understand how to download drivers and install them. If you can post on these forums then you can download the drivers which is very critical the to stable operation of your computer.

You want the download labeled as such:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* XP (exe)

Installs graphic drivers version 14.10.3 for the integrated graphics controller of Intel® 845G chipsets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users