Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I move Windows Media Player to external HD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bytefright

bytefright

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:50 AM

Hi, I've scrolled through this Forum's pages but haven't found anything to help with my problem so perhaps someone else can answer my question? I use an ASUS PRO31P laptop that is slowing down. I wondered whether I could speed things up by freeing up memory if I moved the songs and videos in the Windows Media Player library to an external hard drive. I know I can't move WMP itself to another location but can I move the bulk of it - the library - to another location?
Also, I've tried in the past to move applications to my external HD (to help with the memory problem) but my system then loses track of them. Is there a proper way of doing this because otherwise I've bought an external HD for nothing? Thanks for your help

ASUS Pro31P; CPU: DUO T7200; HD 120GB; MEM 2048MB; OS VISTA PREMIUM (HOME) SEC PACK 2; BROWSER FIREFOX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

If you are referring to Windows applications, no.

Here's a link to information of storing the library on a hard drive. Hope it helps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bytefright

bytefright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

Yep, thought that might be the case. Thanks for the speedy reply but the link did not appear. Could you reload it? Also, have you any suggestions about moving programs or applications from a primary disk to an external one? Cheers, Margaret

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Sorry about that, here you go.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...dvice/0102.mspx

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users