Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade From Win 2k To Win Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gmobcc

gmobcc

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:41 AM

Is there a way to uninstall an upgrade to Windows or do I have start from scratch and format the hard drive?
Holly rusted hard drives Batman !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:52 AM

Yes you can upgrade from W2k to XP, but I would reccommend you purchase a full verison of XP Pro and do a clean install.
First with a clean install your computer will be more reliable. Second when you need to reinstall XP (and more than likely you will) it will be a much easier proceeder.
It the pass Windows upgrade have been problematic at best. The review on the XP upgrade a fair to good. The ones I have read.
For reference check out Ebay.
Retail verison comes with full MS support. OEM comes with support form whoever to purchaseed it from. If you have a name brand computer, Dell, HP, Compaq,... they may have a special restore disk that they will support.

Hope this helps
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

After rereading your post I think you want to completely remove Win2000? If that is the case you don't have to uninstall Win2000. All you have to do is purchase a full verison, either an OEM or retail verison, and boot it from the cd and follow the instruction. It will format your hard drive and remove everything previously on your hard drive.
Make sure you have everything backed up. Once you start this there is no going back.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:53 AM

If you want to uninstall Windows XP and go back to Windows 2000, I would back up files, insert Win 2K disk and have it reformat hard drive and install.

If you want to install XP over Win 2K, back up your files and make sure you have drivers for printer, special video cards, etc., tho XP has drivers for most everything. Then insert XP disk and it will offer 2 options, upgrade or clean install. I would recommend clean install with a quick disk format, NTFS.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:48 PM

Is there a way to uninstall an upgrade to Windows or do I have start from scratch and format the hard drive?

Can you be more specific as to what operating system you want to remove and which one you want to keep.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:59 PM

Upgrade From Win 2k To Win Xp Home, How to uninstall the upgrade

You cannot UPGRADE from Win 2000 Pro to Windows XP Home.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

You can use an upgrade version to update to Win XP Pro, but a new complete install is always better.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 November 2005 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users