Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I H8 Ssk

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Blak Jak

Blak Jak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:53 AM

hey guys/gals- i thought i had removed surf side kick until this morning- when another IE pop up told me "this ad brought to you by surf side kick." well thank you very much ssk- i hate you. i tried following a previous post's directions @ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/9549/how-to-remove-surfsidekick-2-or-3-and-vcclient/ when removing ssk from add/remove programs i typed the code in it requested and it appeared removed. i rebooted my computer and then ran hijack this. i saw some of the same files as the ones that were in the post- however the problem is when i click fix checked and scan again- the files are still there. my guess is is that they remake themselves everytime you delete them. please help!

thanks yall,
blakjak
GO VIRGINIA TECH HOKIES!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:26:14 AM, on 11/4/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Notebook Manager\almxptray.exe
C:\Program Files\3M\PSNLite\PsnLite.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\3M\PSNLite\PSNGive.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\blakjak\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://global.acer.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {02EE5B04-F144-47BB-83FB-A60BD91B74A9} - C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 3\SskBho.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LaunchApp] Alaunch
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcerNotebookManager] C:\Program Files\Acer\Notebook Manager\almxptray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SurfSideKick 3] C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 3\Ssk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Update 64 BIT] wininit32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SurfSideKick 3] C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 3\Ssk.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Post-itŪ Software Notes Lite.lnk = C:\Program Files\3M\PSNLite\PsnLite.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O18 - Protocol: bw+0 - {A1F2B24E-E72D-4983-BE6D-5E768C5731D3} - C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BWPlugProtocol-8876480.dll
O18 - Protocol: pcl - {182D0C85-206F-4103-B4FA-DCC1FB0A0A44} - C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor Professional 9\bin\HSPCLPRO10.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - WIDCOMM, Inc. - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Washer Security Access (wwSecSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wwSecure.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 viccy

viccy

Malware Exterminator

• Security Colleague
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:57 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, surfsidekick can be difficult to get rid of.

Close Internet Explorer and keep it closed throughout the entire removal process.
Enter the control panel by clicking on the Start menu, then clicking on Run.
Now type control in the Open field and press the OK button.
Double-click on the Add/Remove Programs icon.
Look for and uninstall the following entries if found in the Add/Remove Programs window.
Surf Sidekick

It may prompt about whether or not you are sure you want to remove this program. Reply Yes to this prompt. It will then uninstall the program.

If there is no Add/Remove Programs entry for this programs, click on Start , then Run and type the following in the Open : field :

C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 3\Ssk.exe /u

and press the OK button. A code will be displayed that it will ask you to enter. Enter this code and reboot. Once back to your desktop continue with the rest of the fix.

Scan with Hijack This and put a checkmark next to the following entries if they exist:
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {02EE5B04-F144-47BB-83FB-A60BD91B74A9} - C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 3\SskBho.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SurfSideKick 3] C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 3\Ssk.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SurfSideKick 3] C:\Program Files\SurfSideKick 3\Ssk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Microsoft Update 64 BIT] wininit32.exe

Close all windows and browsers and click "fix checked"

Delete the following directories if they exist:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SurfSideKick

Search for the following files and if found delete them:
SskBho.dll
Ssk.log
SskUpdater.exe
Ssk.exe
wininit32.exe

Download the following reg file to your desktop. When it is finished downloading, double-click on it and say Yes when it asks if you would like to merge the data. fixssk.reg

Next, download CleanUp 4.0 . Install and run it. Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
Set the program up as follows:
Click "Options..."
Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
Empty Recycle Bins
Delete Cookies
Delete Prefetch files
Cleanup! All Users
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program.

It may ask you to reboot at the end, click NO.
Download the trial version of Spy Sweeper from Here

Install it using the Standard Install option. (You will be asked for your e-mail address, it is safe to give it. If you receive alerts from your firewall, allow all activities for Spy Sweeper)

You will be prompted to check for updated definitions, please do so.
(This may take several minutes)

When Spy Sweeper has updated, reboot to safe mode.

Boot into Safe Mode:
Restart your computer and immediately begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.
If done right a Windows Advanced Options menu will appear. Select the Safe Mode option and press Enter.

Open Spy Sweeper and click on Sweep and allow it to fully scan your system.

When the sweep has finished, click Remove to remove any items found. Save the log.

Exit Spy Sweeper.

Reboot to normal mode and post the results from Spy Sweeper along with a new Hijack This log.

Edited by viccy, 04 November 2005 - 11:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users