Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So i could use some help on a funny project

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cmoccero

cmoccero

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex GX150 and im wondering what are the best possible upgraded for it, Processor and all. Help would be greatly appreciated.
I G0tS pRoBleM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

Is this your system? If it is and you still have the same old hardware specs, there isn't much you can do with a system that old besides gut it and reuse the case and optical drives.

Edited by DJBPace07, 30 August 2010 - 11:28 PM.

3939.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

Wow! That's a really old machine. PC133 RAM is real expensive, at least comparatively. I took a quick look at Crucial to see what RAM cost for that computer, a 256MB module runs $34.99, a 128MB runs $22.99.

Personally... I wouldn't invest any more money in this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cmoccero

cmoccero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

The Pentium three runs at 863 MHz and has 512 MB of ram in it. And it currently has windows xp home running very smooth
I G0tS pRoBleM

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

If it has 512M of RAM then it's already at maximum capacity. There's not really anything feasible you can do further, as already said. PIIIs were produced up to 1.4 GHz, but if you could find a faster one than is fitted, there's no guarantee the stock BIOS would handle it properly.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

You would be better off to cut your loses and build/buy a new machine to gain better performance.

One thing that you could do is replace XP on that machine with a Linux distro such as Ubuntu. Ubuntu runs better on less powerful hardware than XP.

I have an old Dell Dimension 4100 with 1Ghz P3, 512M RAM and 20G HDD. It runs Ubuntu 10.04 very well.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex GX150 and im wondering what are the best possible upgraded for it, Processor and all. Help would be greatly appreciated.

512 mb of ram is your maximum, you would have to use 2 sticks of double-sided 256 apiece, likely, and video memory would eat into the max amount.

an 815 board cannot run a tualatin cpu, and tualatins were the ones that went up to 1.4 gigs. the fastest processor hes going to be able to get is a coppermine, which they made up to 1.1 ghz.

if the pc has a standard agp slot, you may be able to upgrade the video card...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users