Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Up Randomly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 csuns

csuns

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

Recently I just upgraded my CPU to a 2.9 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+.

Since then my computer has been locking up randomly and I don't know why. I don't think I installed the CPU incorrectly or else it would just not start.

I thought it might be a PSU problem but I cleaned it out and I find no other indications that it could be a PSU problem since once it freezes and I restart it everything turns on fine.

I thought it might be a heat problem but most of my hardware seems to run at normal temperatures

Speedfan:
CPU - 32 C
GPU - 64 C

Everest Home Edition:
CPU - 40 C
GPU - 64 C

Why the discrepancy between the two CPI temperatures? I don't know either.

The strange thing is that once I started playing graphic and cpu intensive games my computer would never freeze up. It wouldn't freeze up after it was done playing either. I played for a good 4 hours or so then left my computer on for the rest of the day and through the night AND THEN through the rest of the next day! It was completely fine, yet once I turned it off for the night and turned it back on in the morning my computer froze up again.

I don't understand what is going on. My screen will just be frozen at whatever it was doing and any mouse or keyboard inputs won't make it respond. No BSOD or anything.

Also, I unplugged and plugged back in my USB mouse thinking that it was my mouse the first time this happened, but the red light on my mouse failed to light back up once I plugged it in while my computer was frozen. Also the HDD light stops flickering too.

Now I'm thinking it's a mobo problem.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2010 - 05:12 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 csuns

csuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:16 PM

bump?

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

I am wondering if your PSU is possibly at fault.

What is the make and model number of your PSU?

Are your RAM models properly pressed into the slots and locked at both ends?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 csuns

csuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

I have an OCZ Game Stream 600W.

And all my RAM are pressed in correctly since my computer is reading them. All the locks are down too.

#5 csuns

csuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:35 AM

...bump...

Computer restarts on its own also

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Computers that restart or lock up, freeze up are signs of a heat related issue.

A restart often cycles down the CPU, long enough for the temperature to drop again to a safe level of operation.

Once the CPU begins processing again, the core temperature rises again.

A restart can also clear out the RAM or allow the temperature of the stick to drop to a safe level again.

The same can be said for the North Bridge chip and the South Bridge chip on the motherboard.

Hard drives are also known to over heat and cause freeze up and lock up issues.

The GPU can also heat up and cause the same issue, it can also have hardware defects that cause the same issue.

The point of my post is, there is most likely a heat related issue here.

The first thing you should concentrate on is your CPU, make sure your heat sink is clean of dust.

Make sure there is no obstructions in the cooling fan such as dust that is restricting air-flow.

You could try servicing the CPU by removing the heat sink/ fan assembly and cleaning off the old thermal grease and adding a new bead, then re-applying the heat sink.

You should ground yourself to the computer case first anytime you perform any work inside the computer case.

You can safely touch various components on the motherboard to observe the temperature, but use extreme caution while doing this.

Pay close attention to the CPU, GPU, North Bridge heat sink, south bridge heat sink and hard drive cases for any unusual high temperatures.

Observe the PSU for cooling fan dust or dust accumulation through the PSU's cooling vents.

A can of compressed air works wonders for blowing out the computer case.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 September 2010 - 02:38 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:50 PM

did you apply thermal paste when putting in the new cpu?

#8 csuns

csuns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't think it's a dust related problem since I've been cleaning my computer out thoroughly ever since this problem started occurring. I also suspected it might be a heat related issue but most of the time my computer seems to be in the safe range for heat: around 30-40 for the cpu and 60-70 for the gpu when idle, and 40-50 for the cpu and 70-80 when working.

I'll check for again for heat, but the thing that confuses me is that it doesn't seem to restart when my computer is doing anything intensive, only while idle or doing something like typing up a reply on this board. I can run graphic/cpu intensive games on my computer for a long time and nothing will happen even when the temperatures do rise (still in a safe range though, I think).

It happens when my computer is mostly idle.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

I have been seeing a lot of posts lately where the situation like this seems to happen when the system is idle.

I think it's time I did some research on this subject, there seems to be some connection here, it's just a matter of piecing together the pieces of the puzzle.

Other members have posted that their computers are fine when running video games that max out the hardware, but once the system goes to an idle state, the problems start popping up with system freeze ups and crashes.

I know this is not yet a solution, but it is worth mentioning that something is amiss here.

Bruce.

#10 Mickk

Mickk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

I have also been having *very* similar problems to the OP.

I can be doing anything on the computer or I can be doing nothing at all, literally the computer is just sitting with the screen saver doing it's thing and it will freeze, total iceblock.

Punch the reset button and it comes up fine and will sometimes run for days at a time without a hiccup, then boom, it freezes again.

I don't think it's a power problem, it has run perfectly well up until recently.

I've run various 'cleaners' to get rid of stuff that doesn't need to be happening/be on my PC (spyware blaster, malwarebytes anti-malware, CCleaner, HIjackthis), so it's currently 'clean' in that direction or as clean as I can get it.

I plan on visiting my BIOS to check the fan settings for various things and make sure they are running right..... having said that I may just run another little proggy I have and see if my PC will play nice and lock up.... I may be able to see what the temps were doing just before the 'event'.....

For the record stats are;

Win XP (SP3)
4 GB ram
Radeon 5700 series video card (1gb ram)
Gigabyte P55A-UD4 motherboard
CoolerMaster 500 watt PSU (came with the case)

#11 Mickk

Mickk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

Was fortunate enough to have my PC do it's random freeze thing while 'speccy' was running.

Once again it was while it was 'idling'.

Temperatures were well within safe limits;

40 C for the CPU and variations between 24 to 26 for the HD's, so it's NOT a heat problem, which is a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users