Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows cannot boot: unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luckysam28

Luckysam28

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hello,

Just today I tried to boot up my computer, and it failed to load. A screen popped up asking me to either run the windows startup repair tool, or to start windows normally. I tried running the repair tool, and it loads some data, but then I get a black screen with a mouse pointer; nothing more. I tried leaving it on this screen for a while to see if anything else would load, but nothing progressed.
Back at the previous menu (run the windows startup repair tool, or start windows normally), I chose the "start windows normally" and pressed enter. The "Windows is loading" screen came on with the animated windows logo, but after about a minute, I got a blue screen saying "Unmountable_boot_volume" followed by windows attempting to restart.

I have been having some issues with booting my computer recently, but was able to get it up and running yesterday. I actually created a backup file + system image on an external hard drive yesterday, but I do not know how to use them to get my computer repaired/running. A few months ago, I used Windows to create a System Repair Disk. I put it into my disk drive, but I'm not sure how to access that either.

I have access to another computer, so If I need to DL any software or burn some recovery file to a disk, I am able to. If you post a link, please use a safe/certified hosting site, as the temporary computer I am using is not mine.

I am running Windows 7 on an Acer Aspire 5920 laptop. The hard drive is not from the manufacturer, rather a Seagate one I bought after my first HDD failed. I do not have the original installation disk with me. If you have any advice or information on how to fix my problem, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Stephen M.

Edited by Luckysam28, 29 August 2010 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

Possible hard drive issue...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=Serv...ties#diagnostic

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Luckysam28

Luckysam28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

Alright, I downloaded the .iso seagtools manager and ran it on the broken computer. on the basic tests I received the following:

Selected drive information
-Device 0 is Seagate Device (random serial code) on Intel (more serial code)
-Max native address is 48 bit address - number of LBAs 488397167 (259.059 GB)
-This drive supports security features
-SMART is supported and enabled
-SMART has not been tripped
-DST is supported
-Logging feature set is supported
-POH 5573 current temp 35

I ran a "long test" and it told me the following:
"The drive is not responding to commands. Check cables and drive power connection"
Basically it said that my drive failed the test. Is this fixable?

I also tried booting windows in safe mode, but i got no luck.
I somehow got to this "Edit Boot Options" page when starting my computer and holding F8.
it said:
Edit windows boot options for: Windows 7
Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Partition: 1
Hard disk: 45b933f9

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
]

and then it allowed me to type whatever I wanted after the "optin."

Honestly at this point I am just messing around with my computer and desperately trying to find a way to fix it so I can use it to get my work done.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

"The drive is not responding to commands. Check cables and drive power connection"
Basically it said that my drive failed the test. Is this fixable?

Unfortunately not.
You can try to slave it in another computer (or use USB hard drive enclosure) and see, if you can get your data off of it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users