Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get this popup to STOP coming up?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Ok, This keeps coming up everytime I try to DRAG a file out of a compressed zip folder. Not when I copy/paste. Not with RAR, 7zip.

Posted Image

It used to look like this before I upgraded to the Internet Explorer 8.

Posted Image

I look this up and everything I find keeps telling me to do THIS:

http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-Windows...ning-*1187.html

That just doesn't work. Thats the frustrating part. They all say the same thing.

My downloaded files all say this:

Posted Image

When I unblock them, the problem goes away, but only for that file.

This problem happens regardless of whether I download with explorer, firefox, google chrome.

Posted Image

I tried about everthing I could think of. I tried Eusing free registry cleaner. Nothing works. This isnt the biggest problem in the world but it really really bothers me that I cant fix it. :|

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

My setting is to "automatically detect" on the Local Intranet/Sites setting. You might try that.

Louis

#3 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

I just reformatted and it still says that. Very disheartening. And I chose to format first before I reinstalled.

btw, hamluis, I tried that and it doesn't work. Maybe it has something to do with the router?

I just tried making my own zip folder and extracting one of my own files. It didn't do it. It appears it only does it with downloaded files, hence

Posted Image

The only thing is, this only happens with zipped files. Not winRAR nor 7zip.

Edited by TheEgg, 31 August 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

I use a router...I don't see where that should make a difference.

Louis

#5 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

^^ What I mean is that maybe some setting with the router (or computer) is thinking that certain things passing through it are "evil". I know that sounds stupid, but I don't have much to go on here.

I guess I should thank my lucky stars that this ONLY happens when I drag files out of zip folders and that it doesn't happen when I just choose extract or use 7zip, winRAR.

Edited by TheEgg, 31 August 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

AFAIK...zip files are compressed, thus dragging a compressed file from such...should not make that file useful. That's why a special program is used to extract such, thus making it useful.

Once the file is extracted, it can then be treated like any other file.

That may not be the way that it is...just the way that I understand the use of archives.

An analogy...if you attempt to just drag files from compressed Windows archives on the XP CD...they must be expanded before they can be used in Windows.

Maybe someone has a better understanding, but that's the way that understand such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users