Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:42 AM
My PC seems to be infected but I can't barely find anything
with the known tools. I've tried a lot of tips, tools, tricks
but still I'm not 'there'. Any idea's are welcome.
I'm running vista SP2 with McAfee at a quadcore.
- a year ago I was kicked out by my provider due to high e-mail traffic.
- I did a lot of scanning and reinstalled my PC partly
- but problems kept coming back in time
- at that time sysinternals rootkitrevealer indicated a rootkit
- after that I move and didn't used this PC for a while.
scanners improve in-time, I thought ...
- since a month I'm looking again at the problem but the
PC was almost unusable, almost completeky freezing after
- However, after the removal of McAfee it was quite useable again
- after removing McAfee, Vista suggested chkdsk which hung on
an index problem. Fixed it with ubuntu.
- What I lately did:
- run ubuntu, which runs perfectly fine (thus: no hardware problem)
- BIOS update
- rootkitrevealer doesn't start anymore (can't init service)
- RootRepealer hangs on scanning hidden services
- tizer rootkit razor doesn't find anything
(It crashed my PC (BSOD), before the removal of McAfee)
- system restore crashs my PC (BSOD)
- Avira rescue disc didn't find anything
- MBAM didn't find anything
- IObit security didn't find anything
- GMER didn't find anything
- a run of ComboFix revealed an infected wininit, which I replaced.
new scan didn't reveal anything.
- SAS doesn't find anything
- rkill only kills sysinternal's procexplorer
That's about it for now.
What can I do to identify and remove the infection(s??).