Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

4 ways to get Google out of your life

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. And to fund this mission, it creates advertising that is interesting to you. That way you will click on more ads and generate more income for Google. Is that so wrong?

Safeandsavvy

Hope you like the info, personally it is up to your preferences. Enjoy, it is an awesome read.

Karsten

Edited by boopme, 29 August 2010 - 10:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

How about just removing yourself from Google use altogether? Close your Gmail accounts. Switch your default search engines. Don't use any Android product. The list goes on.

#3 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

I just want to be able to chosse what I think is best for me! Google or not.

#4 braincramp

braincramp

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

I recently just finished reading Robert Sawyer's book Wake in which he describes an alternative to Google called Jagster .....I went to look for it but found he made it up alas. http://www.sfwriter.com/2009/12/jagster-lives.html although according to his blog someone is developing a search engine which is based on the premise he used for Jagster in his book. I would just like to say I highly recommend this book especially for a computer savvy or interested audience as it is delving into the premise that beneath what we can see on the web there lies an intelligence lurking , waiting to be found , the machine mind , the singularity perhaps....I'd say more but I don't want to be a spoiler.

#5 CStew23

CStew23

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

How about just removing yourself from Google use altogether? Close your Gmail accounts. Switch your default search engines. Don't use any Android product. The list goes on.

Agreed. You don't like them, simply don't use them
Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!
If you have not heard from me in 48 hours please use this and send me a PM reminder.

#6 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:06 AM

Personally I really don't see anything wrong with Google, It's not like their publishing your name with your personal data.Their not selling your address and phone number to third party corporations like alot of other corporations do everyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users